S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

My Sirius satellite radio install (PIX)

Old 07-26-2003, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Sirius satellite radio install (PIX)

I finally got tired of listening to all the crap that is on the radio now (commercials, DJs blathering on and on, uninspired programming), so I decided to get and install a satellite radio system. Even though it was a bit more per month ($12.95 vs $9.95 for XM), I went with Sirius because I liked their programming more. You can get deals too if you sign up for more than monthly billing, such as 1 free month if you prepay for a year, 3 free months if you prepay for two years, etc.

I have a stock '02 head unit with the PIE HON-AUX inputs, which I was using as an auxillary for my MiniDisc walkman. I had previously added a Sony XM-460GTX Amplifier, Lucid's Kenwood 3-way 5.25" Rear Speaker System and the Polk EX3560 Component System to replace the front speakers.

Anyway, one of my main concerns was to have a completely hidden install. I went with the 220SRSIRFM Audiovox SRSIR-001FM Sirius Satellite radio system, which is an add-on system to your existing radio. This includes an antenna in-line FM modulator, but I used the PIE HON-AUX auxillary inputs to hook in directly.

The Audiovox SRSIR-001FM has two components, the radio unit itself and a wired control unit.

Installation was really easy, all I had to do was connect three wires (switched power, constant power and ground) and I just used the amp connections and I was done in about 10 minutes. I ran the RCA patch cables from the PIE HON-AUX auxillary inputs to the radio unit which I put under the passenger seat.

I removed the radio door, and dremeled out a space for the control unit to sit recessed down a little. After a few trial runs, I then put some velcro tape under the control unit to hold it in place when driving. The radio door still closes fine, completely hiding the control unit itself.

The main problem I faced was with the antenna position. When I first installed, I set the antenna on the trunk lid, and reception was perfect. I didn't want to have that black wart sitting on the outside of my S, so the first place I tried was the plastic shelf/deck where the convertible top folds down. I made a ground plane from some sheet metal, and mounted the antenna on it.

Reception was very good with the top up, but with the top folded down, the metal roof bars all folded very near the antenna, and blocked some reception. I estimate that reception was received about 99% of the time with the top up and 80% of the time with the top down.

Since I drive mainly top down, that reception wasn't good enough, so I then tried mounting the antenna between the passenger roll hoop. I then drove around the same area to see how reception worked there, and I was surprised that reception was almost 100%! Since there was no metal ground plane, I didn't think it would work as well but it did.

I mounted the antenna using some velcro, so I could move the antenna in case I was parking in a bad spot or for long term, and I was finished.

I have to say that so far I LOVE the programming on satellite radio! I wish I had done this sooner. Another big plus was that Sirius was offering a $100 rebate if you bought selected components and signed up for service too.

I also added some RCA Y-connectors so I can still use my MiniDisc walkman, so I think I am all set sound-wise now in my S....

Below are photos I just took of my install:

Radio door closed

Radio door open

Radio door opened showing control unit turned on

Radio door opened showing control unit turned on and mounted for better seeing

Antenna mounted between passenger rool hoop

Close up of antenna mounting
Old 07-26-2003, 02:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You are a man in need of a grommet! Get some rubber around the wire to your control wireing!

Did you try mounting the antenna UNDER the decklid? Like to the bottom side of the trunk?

Overall very cool. Thanks for sharing your experience. I really like the idea of the remote where yours is. One of the reasons I went for an aftermarket HU was so I did not have to get an FM CD changer. I did not know where to mount the wired controller. This idea may save someone a few hundred bucks down the line.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:54 PM

Yeah, I know about a grommet I didn't want to cut such a large hole, but the plug for the wired control was pretty big.

You can't mount the antenna under anything, the metal of the trunk lid would block the signal. That's why the signal got lost in the convertible top shelf.

The PIE HON-AUX is hard wired, it plugs into your CD changer plug area.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by Luft46
The PIE HON-AUX is hard wired, it plugs into your CD changer plug area. [/B]
Where can someone purchase one of these from, and how much do they run? Is there a website that would explain exactly how these work and what kind of devices it would allow you to use with a stock HU? Thanks.

edit - nevermind, I just scrolled down a little and saw the topic concerning adding an AUX input to our HU's.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:25 AM

I love the DOG!! Sirius is the best thing I have put on the S. Check the pick, I put the antenna in the secret compartment.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:41 AM

*sim gets jelous* GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR so is it really tha nice?
Old 07-28-2003, 11:01 AM

Hey seminole2001, how's reception in the secret compartment?
Old 07-28-2003, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Luft46
Hey seminole2001, how's reception in the secret compartment?
It's good. There is a repeater just south of PHX. I never lose signal in town. I had a few dropouts in Sedona because of the mountains.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:53 AM

Hmmm.... I may have to try that method now.....
Old 07-30-2003, 04:43 AM

OK, I went with seminole2001's antenna location - it works great!! Thanks man for the great idea!

Quick Reply: My Sirius satellite radio install (PIX)