S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

My Potential System

Old 04-09-2006, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Potential System

Hello Folks,

Been lurking the electronics forum for about a week now trying to research as much as I can before I make my purchase. Went to a couple of stereo shops to listen to what they have and their sales pitch. Here's a tentative list of what I wanted to get:

Head Unit - Alpine CDA 9857 w/ IPOD adaptor
Components - MB Quart QSC 216
Amp for Component - Rockford Fosgate P3002
Subwoofer - JL Audio 10W6V2
Amp for Sub - Rockford Fosgate P5002

I listen to just about any type of music. What do you guys think? Yay/Nay? Need suggestions/opinions from the folks that are more knowledgeable than myself. Thanks in advance!!

Kenny
Old 04-09-2006, 02:15 PM

Nice stuff, should sound great.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The equipment all looks to be quality stuff. My only suggestion is to make sure you listen to the speakers you buy. Speakers, much moreso than anything else, are a VERY personal thing. You really need to demo various ones and pick the one you like the best.

You also might want to look into a DCI so you don't lose the side audio controls with the aftermarket HU.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:27 AM

Look around at a couple different amps. I have had alot of experience
with these and the build quality just isnt there. The Power series amps
are nice, but very large. JL,Boston,Audison,Alpine,Memphis just to name a few
are going to give you cleaner power for a longer time.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree w/ Pete -- be sure to listen to any speakers you buy before you do... especially since you are considering MB Quarts.

some people love MBQ's and others (like me) wouldn't keep a set if you gave them to me. they can be very bright and brassy.

otherwise - looks alright. what kind of wiring are you considering?
Old 04-10-2006, 10:35 AM

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I've had JL Audio Subs and Alpine Decks on my previous cars before so those are pretty solid decisions for me. As for component speakers, haven't found a store yet that has moderate to higher end speakers on display. Any recommendations? Make and Model numbers will be great.

As for wiring....most likely Monster Cables.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds allot like the set-up I'm considering - JL 300/4 with focals. Streetwire cables. Let us know how it works out.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:13 PM

generally, i like the Focal PolyKevlars both the 165KP2 and the 165KP. very crisp, but still retaining a good warmth and solid midrange. also, very good performing midbass speaker.

http://www.focal-america.com/
http://www.focal-america.com/Product...r/k2power.html

also, i like the Boston offerings. the Pro 6.0 series are quite nice and have a solid sound as well, excelling in good midrange.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_pro...14&family_id=20

i think both of those sets generally run in the $500 range per pair. if you're looking for something a bit more affordable, the Focal PolyGlass components and the Boston SL components are quite nice.

i have the Focal 165KP's in my car and the Boston's SL 6.0 in my wife's Odyssey.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Former Moderator

Agreed with the above. However, I would definetely sample the Infinity Perfects against the MBQUARTS. 9 times out of 10, given a blind hearing test (does that make sense? ) people choose the Perfects. However, these are speakers for people (like me) who LOVE highs. I mean ear piercing highs. I have my tweeters on +5db, while most people drop their speakers to -3db. Great for electronic music, string instruments, and things of that nature. Focal and Boston are better at the warm vocals (Sinatraish or maybe opera type sound...)

Give a listen.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:26 AM

Agreed on the Boston or Focal suggestion. I sell both product lines at my store. What is the price range your looking at?
If your in the 250-300 price range look at the new Focal 165A1.
This is the 6.5 seperate in their Access line. I just got the Access series put on display in between the Boston SL and Pro series. To be honest these are the most inexpensive seperates Focal makes and they rival the Boston SL and come close to the Pro's.
The Polyglass and K2 Power series will go up in SQ from there.

Quick Reply: My Potential System