S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

MX radio

Old 03-23-2003, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MX radio

Is anyone running MX (or seris) satellite in their car or home. I have been intending to set the system up using the Alpine satellite receiver but as of this week there is another mamufacturer with MX that may be better. This is the Delphi sustem. As I want to be able to also run this in the hame and move it to my wife,s car on occations the Delphi may be more flexable. TIA
Andy:
rev:
Old 03-23-2003, 07:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As with all systems, both XM and Sirius have their weak and strong points. You may want to do a search on the Delphi system and look at some of the comments posted here in the past...some have had issues with audio quality.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:31 PM

Unfortunatly no one has tried the Delphi system, as it is very new. I am wondering how hard would it be to jumper the audio signal into the stock 03 head unit. When I pulled it partly out I noted that there are two connectors and I obtained a pinout list from this site that gave me the pin out for the connector in use. I assume that the other connector is for the CD changer (not installed on my car). Now I might be able to obtain contacts for the usused plug and just fit them in and be able to play the audio from the MX. It seems as though Lucid was looking into doing that for outboard MP3 players.
Andy
Old 03-24-2003, 05:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have pinouts for the stock stereo on my website, but there's no auxiliary inputs. There ARE people on this board who have tried out the Delphi system...I know, because I've answered a few questions, so do a search and you'll come across it eventually.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:33 AM

ok you can do fm modulated, and most people would never be able to hear the difference. I like the Delphi. think that as long as you can find a nice place to mount it it would look good. especially with the orange display.

Delphi is also making a unit for Sirius. it is going to be almost identical to the one for XM. that should be coming out early to mid summer. till now, Sirius has nothing with a portable unit that you can use in your house and car.

now you would just have to decide which you would like to go with, XM or Sirius. two of the biggest selling points for Sirius are, NPR (for those of you who are into that stuff) and 100% commercial free music. although it costs 12.99 a month compared to 9.99 a month for XM

for XM not all of there stations are 100% commercial free but many of them are, and the ones that have commercials they are limited to about 5 mins per hour of music. they both have a wide range of music that they play.

I prefer XM I had it for a while till it was stolen out of my car.
good luck with your choice
Old 03-25-2003, 01:14 PM

I am also looking in to XM. Probably the Alpine unit. I am looking into getting this very soon.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:30 PM

i always said didnt want to pay for radio, but its worth it i liked it alot
Old 03-25-2003, 02:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I just got XM (Alpine unit) and so far am pretty impressed. I was surprised by the commercials, but I believe it is only stations that are syndicated. I was pleased by the bass response. just knowing what every song you listen to is without hoping that the talking head after the song remembers to tell you what you were listening to is worth the price of admission for me!
Old 03-30-2003, 01:36 PM

The Delphi piece is cool because you can take the receiver pretty much anywhere- but you're going to need extra pieces to make it work so don't think that you're going to be rocking out to XM everywhere you go for $150.

If you are price sensitive, Kenwood is giving away Sirius tuners if you buy one of their Sirius-compatible radios. I am an XM person but my installer prefers Sirius.

BTW, I had an FM modulated XM tuner in my RSX-S and it does not sound as good, not does it have as many features, as the Alpine CD deck I have now that is XM compatible. If you're going to drop $300 for an FM modulator package then it starts to make sense to pick up a $250 CD deck and a $150 XM tuner for the extra performance and features.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:07 PM

On friday I orderd an Alpine 7894 HU and the companion CD player, as well as the Delphi MX radio. I rescerched the differiences between MX and Siriies and picked MX because it was first and may survive, the programing is more to my liking and last in consideration it costs less. In a few weeks I will be able to report on the results with photos of the results.
I went with the delphi instead of the Alpine as it was easier to move to the wifes car (acura MRX ) and into the house.
Andy

Quick Reply: MX radio