S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Multi DCI not compatible with my Alpine 9833??

Old 06-30-2004, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multi DCI not compatible with my Alpine 9833??

We installed the controller as per the instructions, we tried all the possible configurations of the dip switchs. The system would not respond. We checked for output of the IR transmitter using a sony 8mm camcorder.... If the ir is transmitting then it will show as a white blink form the transmitter. The ir IS transmitting data....but the radio is not recognizning the IR data.

My guess is that the IR Data is not compatibale with this paticular Alpine radio (cda9833).
The SWC2 from PAC works except for the "audio Mode" the resistance level from the "Audio mode" button does not change enough to be recognized. We know that the Ir on the radio works, and recieves form an alternate source.

Anyone have a DCI working with an Alpine 9833?

TJ
Old 06-30-2004, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would doubt the Alpine IR code is unique, but it's possible.

Does it have some silly feature like the Sony Hi-R units, downloading MPEG files to the remote, then uploading them to the head unit? If it does, then it uses PC coding instead of normal IR remote codes and is NOT comaptible with the DCI. If it's just a regular remote, something else is probably wrong.

One question to ask your installers - Did they turn the power OFF between every change of the dip switch settings? If they left the power ON the DCI will not read the new dip switch setting, so you can change it all day long and it will still use the original (possibly wrong) setting. For Alpine, switch 1 should be DOWN (off), the rest should be UP.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:07 AM

Thanks! I'll ask them right now. If it's not compatible, can I return it?

TJ
Old 06-30-2004, 11:43 AM

Modifry...

I Just spoke with the guys at the shop and they said that they did have the power off between setting the dips and no the remote for that model does not have downloading capabilities.

The HU remote works, and the DCI is sending data but they are not communicating.

What can I do?
Old 06-30-2004, 11:53 AM

The only other suggestion I can think of is making sure the IR emitter from the DCI is postioned in front of the IR receiver on the HU. Since it mounts so close to the head unit, positioning is more sensitive than with a remote held a couple feet away. Make sure the 'front' of the emitter is facing the HU, that's the only side that emits IR.

If it still doesn't work, I'll see if I can find a 9833 on a demo board at a local store and test the DCI, but that will probably not happen till the weekend.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:59 AM

OK, thanks for your help! Pretty sure the guys would have seen the front of the IR, but hopefully that's it.

TJ
Old 06-30-2004, 12:13 PM

I've got a 9833 and a DCI; works great together. My guess is that it's a simple solution such as a backwards IR.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:47 PM

Yo, Willie - thanks for confirming it works with the 9833. If he continues to have trouble I'll know to just ship a replacement unit.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:39 PM

Thanks Willie. Since it is compatible, if the IR placement isn't the problem I guess it must be the DCI sending the wrong data? I'm heading over to the shop l8r tonight. Unfortuneately, this site will be down for days
Old 06-30-2004, 03:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be a bad DCI. The one I got several months ago turned out to be DOA. After everything was wired and the dip switches set, my Alpine 9827 wouldn't respond at all. Checked and re-checked everything. Very frustrating. I had good email response from Lucid.
Sent it back and got a new one. Took a while, but the new one works great. Good luck!!

Quick Reply: Multi DCI not compatible with my Alpine 9833??