S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

MP3 Players and Stock radio

Old 02-28-2007 | 09:10 AM

Default MP3 Players and Stock radio

I did a search and found lots of info on this but things change quickly in the MP3 world so thought I would ask anyway.

I have a 07 with stock AM-FM-CD and I would like to listen to my ZEN MP3, I was thinking of getting the Honda Music link for the IPOD, I assume that would allow me to plug in the ZEN but not use the dash controls to control it. I do have my old Ipod that I have not yet thrown away but I want to avoid using at all costs because it would be a pain to keep music on both players.

I was then looking at this that I found using the search feature, http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehon98aux.html That would seem to give the ability to plug in my ZEN.

How much of a pain is it to pull the radio ? I assume the Honda unit is like this logjam unit and both need access to the rear of the radio to install them, is it a pain or easy ?

Short of using a FM Tuner any other suggestions ? I am very surprised there is no AUX input on the stock radio.

One last question, if I decide to get the CD changer in the trunk, is the wiring already there or is it going to be a pain also ? I assume I have to get the Honda one to have the dash controls, correct ?

It also looks like if I install the above MP3 auxiliary input I lose my ability to plug in a CD changer in the future since it says it uses the CD 14pin input, so that limits me yet again, is that true?
Old 02-28-2007 | 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by mikeyr,Feb 28 2007, 01:10 PM
I did a search and found lots of info on this but things change quickly in the MP3 world so thought I would ask anyway.

I have a 07 with stock AM-FM-CD and I would like to listen to my ZEN MP3, I was thinking of getting the Honda Music link for the IPOD, I assume that would allow me to plug in the ZEN but not use the dash controls to control it. I do have my old Ipod that I have not yet thrown away but I want to avoid using at all costs because it would be a pain to keep music on both players.

I was then looking at this that I found using the search feature, http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehon98aux.html That would seem to give the ability to plug in my ZEN.

How much of a pain is it to pull the radio ? I assume the Honda unit is like this logjam unit and both need access to the rear of the radio to install them, is it a pain or easy ?

Short of using a FM Tuner any other suggestions ? I am very surprised there is no AUX input on the stock radio.

One last question, if I decide to get the CD changer in the trunk, is the wiring already there or is it going to be a pain also ? I assume I have to get the Honda one to have the dash controls, correct ?

It also looks like if I install the above MP3 auxiliary input I lose my ability to plug in a CD changer in the future since it says it uses the CD 14pin input, so that limits me yet again, is that true?
Here is what I have for my 05 S2K

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=287

The only other thing you need to buy is an RCA Adapter like this:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=164

But don't buy that one online, you can get those cheaper at the store.

To answer your questions... it is very easy to get to the radio, there are instructions somewhere on this website, under the hood i think. The only thing with this, is that is plugs into the spot where the CD changer would be. So you have to choose which one you would rather have. I personally don't think you would need the cd changer. You can just put the cd onto your MP3 player.

Hope this helps
Old 02-28-2007 | 11:15 AM

I agree with everything kfar09 says, but need to add three things:

1) The last time I checked, there's nothing out there that will control your Zen from the stock head unit. This support seems to exist for ipod only.

2) I used the pie98honaux to plug my Dell Jukebox (very similar to the Zen) into the stock head unit before my wife bought me an ipod. It worked very well, but I had to turn the (car stereo) volume way up.

3) Don't bother with the Honda unit. It is for ipod only. It plugs into the data port, not the headphone jack. You need something that plugs into the headphone jack.
Old 02-28-2007 | 04:45 PM

1. See the sticky at the top of the forum for removing the radio. Be careful to cover the shifter threads to avoid scratching the radio door when you pull it off.

2. Speaking for myself, I find an iPod to be better than a cd changer. I don't miss the option at all. My experience is CD changers don't have a great life expectancy, either.

3. you may want to consider upgrading your radio to one with a miniplug input. I don't think anyone on this forum has regretted updating the stock radio. I'll also venture you'll need some more power to hear the Zune well at speed with the top down.

4. Being an Apple guy, the ultimate solution is sell the Zune on Ebay, buy an iPod, an Alpine 9857, and a DCI. The upgraded speakers, amp and sub can come later.

Don't take 4 too seriously.
Old 02-28-2007 | 09:26 PM

[QUOTE=an_other,Feb 28 2007, 05:45 PM]
Old 02-28-2007 | 09:33 PM
Former Moderator

Ipods>Cd Changers. I should know, I have both
Old 03-01-2007 | 09:38 PM

guess I was not thinking straight, you guys are right, why would I need the CD changer once I have the ZEN plugged in. With my music from the MP3 the one CD should be fine...I wonder what I was thinking or more likely not thinking.

My daughter is pushing me to get the Honda link for my old Ipod, I just hoped to never turn that Ipod on again after I got the ZEN, looks like I will get the same setup as kfar09 and especially thanks for the warning about scratching the cover when removing the radio, I will be careful.
Old 03-02-2007 | 09:39 AM

[QUOTE=mikeyr,Mar 1 2007, 10:38 PM] guess I was not thinking straight, you guys are right, why would I need the CD changer once I have the ZEN plugged in.
Old 03-02-2007 | 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=stinky_finger,Feb 28 2007, 10:26 PM]Dude, he said Zen not Zune (big difference).