S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

most bang for buck audio upgrade?

Old 01-05-2005, 05:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dierk,Jan 5 2005, 05:56 PM
Please don't banish GSteg. He said he was going to CES and would give us a report of any new 8 inch sub models announced there.
dierk, turns out i won't be making it to CES due to the recent death of my grandfather (yesterday morning). I put family over audio 100% of the time.

But I can still get information for you as I have buddies who are going without me. You'll get some information don't worry
Old 01-05-2005, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight1999,Jan 5 2005, 06:28 PM
I have no interest in banishing him at all! If your talking about ATF,... well he had it coming and just so you know I don't make the final decision on that type of action anyway. GSteg and I may disagree on some things but at least his civil and polite about the way he treats people for the most part, which is lightyears beyond ATF. We can agree to disagree. He may have a lot to learn about this "unique" car... but hey live and learn
Thanks for clarifying, darkknight1999. I for one appreciate appreciate the chance to hear as many different points of view as possible.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by GSteg,Jan 5 2005, 06:52 PM
dierk, turns out i won't be making it to CES due to the recent death of my grandfather (yesterday morning). I put family over audio 100% of the time.

Wow, GSteg, sorry to hear it. I totally respect your priorities. Take care.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:41 PM

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I'm actually waiting for that call myself... however its never good. Family is always #1 good call!

Pass on my regards.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:16 PM

thanks guys. hopefully the tension between darkknight and i have lessen up. i also hope even though there are disagreements between an s2ki'er, I can still earn some respect

ok back to topic.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:42 PM

I'm sorry do you think I'm going to go easy on you now most likely not
Old 01-05-2005, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by GSteg,Jan 5 2005, 06:35 PM
I guess this is where I differ from everyone else. Probably why I only have a forward soundstage as opposed to front and rear (car and home). Granted I have listened to only a few s2000 aftermarket equiped cars, it reminds me of my friend's NSX where the position of the speakers are much different than other cars. His car wouldn't image that great with just front and rear speakers. I grabbed some horns and slapped it into his car and imaging was perfect. I guess the seating position of the NSX and where the horns were mounted were perfect together.

I was taught that if my front stage was very good, rear speakers would not be needed to the point where rear speakers correct the imaging. One of the aftermarket equipped s2k I heard also had horns. the owner had the balls to cut up his inner side metal of the car to fit the driver in. But because how he positioned the horns, nothing else was need as far as drivers were concerned. bigger cars do indeed sound different than little cars, no doubt about that, but it doesn't mean its not possible to achieve imaging with just a forward soundstage.

darkknight, i don't drive an integra and i don't want an s2000. it's not my cup of tea, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't frequent this board.
My condolences. Take care of yourself, bud.

On topic:
You can get good imaging in the S with just front speakers. Like I said above, to get it really good (and approaching great) you need volume. It's a kludge and not ideal, but I have no plans to add rear speakers to my car and I am after the best possible sound I can get.

Wow, horns in an S2000. That sounds cool. Where did he mount them exactly? Any pics? We all thought we'd never see subwoofers in an S2000 door too and then someone went and put two 8"s in each door... Creative bunch we got here.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:08 PM

i did not take pictures since it was a honda/acura meet awhile back. I don't know if he visits this board or not. He used the Image Dynamics CD1pro minihorns for ease of installation. As far as i could tell, he had to cut the metal sidewall near the glove compartment. not sure what the specific name is. lol. ideally we're suppose to mount the horns as far to the side and near the firewall as possible under the dash. I can tell you that it took awhile to get the horns in. My hands would also be shaking if I were to cut up an s2k. lol.

There are times i wish i had a jeep cherokee. Talk about space under the dash. If you have the time and patience, i would highly recommend horns in your car. I don't know about you guys, but i sure love the dynamic range of horns
Old 01-06-2005, 03:30 PM

Since you brought it up,... what do you drive?
Old 01-06-2005, 06:54 PM

'92 acura legend

Quick Reply: most bang for buck audio upgrade?