S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

most bang for buck audio upgrade?

Old 01-05-2005, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are not worried about sound quality but want options for MP3 Playing etc, add a simple AUX adapter for the CD Changer and plug in your ipod or computer or any mp3 player. $80 or so - easy to install.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by flitcroft,Jan 4 2005, 06:00 PM

last) rear speakers (IMO, they are not needed with high powered front speakers but they do improve imaging significantly)
rear speakers improves imaging?

typo? lol.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:38 PM

GSteg... You don't even own an S so how can you even comment? You totally blow my mind with your comment. They round out the sound very nicely and you would know that if you actually owned and S and have had the time to install some and actually try it. I still haven't figured you out yet... but I'm trying, because your not on my ignore list.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:27 PM

I don't own an S, but my dad is a Honda salesman and he's a really good friend of the owner of the dealer so they let me play with the S whenever I want. Of course I only get to play with the used one.

Perhaps our definition of imaging is different. I define image/imaging as the sound coming from the correct position or relatively where it was intended. In most case such as instrumental type of music, the correct position of the sound should be up front. There should be a variation of Left to right sources, not front to rear.

With good imaging, you are able to identify where the source of music should be coming from. With rear speakers, you hear a surround sound effect. To some people, they may like it, but no one ever forbid a person to like it. When having the surround sound effect, the source is not identifiable. This would be considered poor imaging to audiophiles. This is not to mention the difference in path length will disturb the overall point source. Some people are okay with it. I'm sure many people here are able to run rear speakers and like it. Props to them, but imaging is definitely altered with rear speakers.

EDIT: grammatical errors
Old 01-05-2005, 03:51 PM

Yeah the exact reason way you need a HU with time correction... Just because you get to drive an S every once in a while doesn't mean you have any idea what your talking about. Just because I've driven a Viper doesn't mean I know the slightest thing about it. Try owning one and actually modding it in one way or another then you'll understand what the heck everyone else is talking about here. This isn't the typical car. Infact its far from it, in many ways,... not just the engine. With the right HU you can fixed the imaging and the sound. But since you know it all already...

Good luck... why don't you have your dad trade in you Teg and get you an S(since he's so close to the owner you should be able to get a greatr deal on a used one) that way you might be able to understand what where all talking about...

Can I ask you why you come here anyway? Isn't there a Integra board you can go bother or a Power Grid you need to watch so Southern Cali doesn't go black?... gosh!
Old 01-05-2005, 04:56 PM

Please don't banish GSteg. He said he was going to CES and would give us a report of any new 8 inch sub models announced there.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by GSteg,Jan 5 2005, 03:27 PM
With good imaging, you are able to identify where the source of music should be coming from. With rear speakers, you hear a surround sound effect. To some people, they may like it, but no one ever forbid a person to like it. When having the surround sound effect, the source is not identifiable. This would be considered poor imaging to audiophiles. This is not to mention the difference in path length will disturb the overall point source. Some people are okay with it. I'm sure many people here are able to run rear speakers and like it. Props to them, but imaging is definitely altered with rear speakers.
This is wrong for our cars. The S2000 stock speaker placements put the sound image (aka "sweet spot") at your knees, not at your ears. The ideal position for your head to be is probably with your chin on the parking brake.

Enter rear speakers. With time correction and the proper volume (you probably have heard a calibrated home theater setup right? the rears often are only 35% of the volume of the front. They are just for fill.) rear speakers raise the imaging of the stereo to closer to where your ears are. They'll also give you more volume before you hear distortion because they are two more speakers that will imcrease the amount of air that is pushed by speakers cones (as opposed to putting more energy through a smaller area of speaker cone -- think of two 8" subs vs. one 10" sub; with good equipment the increased area of the 8"s will always sound better at high volumes, ceteris paribus).

When having the surround sound effect, the source is not identifiable. This would be considered poor imaging to audiophiles.
This is also fundamentally incorrect. That's not the way your ears perceive sound. I consider myself an audiophile and I can assure you that directional audio can be used for fill in any audiophile stereo. What you are probably not considering here is that the S2000 is an extremely compromised sound stage. To get "correct" imaging at normal and low volumes I'd argue that you have to have rear speakers. You won't be able to hear this on a stock stereo at a dealership, but check out an S2000 with high powered, clean front speakers and you'll very clearly hear why I say this. The only way for my audiophile system to have proper imaging is with higher volumes where the sound waves have the ability to bounce around a bit as they reach your ears.

GSteg, I appreciate you trying to help but it is odd for you to second guess an owner in this case. I wrote that message carefully, albeit with little explanation, and meant precisely what I wrote. If you spend some time with high end audio in different cars you'll notice that the same setups sound completely different across different cars. Case in point: MB Quart Q speakers. Listen to them in a large SUV and then listen to them in an S2000. In the SUV they sound like they're from a different planet. In the S2000, you have to take great care to tune and attenuate the highs on the Ti tweeters, while SUVs with MB Quarts can sound great out of the box.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by dierk,Jan 5 2005, 08:56 PM
Please don't banish GSteg. He said he was going to CES and would give us a report of any new 8 inch sub models announced there.
I have no interest in banishing him at all! If your talking about ATF,... well he had it coming and just so you know I don't make the final decision on that type of action anyway. GSteg and I may disagree on some things but at least his civil and polite about the way he treats people for the most part, which is lightyears beyond ATF. We can agree to disagree. He may have a lot to learn about this "unique" car... but hey live and learn
Old 01-05-2005, 05:35 PM

I guess this is where I differ from everyone else. Probably why I only have a forward soundstage as opposed to front and rear (car and home). Granted I have listened to only a few s2000 aftermarket equiped cars, it reminds me of my friend's NSX where the position of the speakers are much different than other cars. His car wouldn't image that great with just front and rear speakers. I grabbed some horns and slapped it into his car and imaging was perfect. I guess the seating position of the NSX and where the horns were mounted were perfect together.

I was taught that if my front stage was very good, rear speakers would not be needed to the point where rear speakers correct the imaging. One of the aftermarket equipped s2k I heard also had horns. the owner had the balls to cut up his inner side metal of the car to fit the driver in. But because how he positioned the horns, nothing else was need as far as drivers were concerned. bigger cars do indeed sound different than little cars, no doubt about that, but it doesn't mean its not possible to achieve imaging with just a forward soundstage.

darkknight, i don't drive an integra and i don't want an s2000. it's not my cup of tea, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't frequent this board.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by darkknight1999,Jan 5 2005, 06:28 PM
I have no interest in banishing him at all! If your talking about ATF,... well he had it coming and just so you know I don't make the final decision on that type of action anyway. GSteg and I may disagree on some things but at least his civil and polite about the way he treats people for the most part, which is lightyears beyond ATF. We can agree to disagree. He may have a lot to learn about this "unique" car... but hey live and learn
Perhaps I still do need to learn more about this car, but my philosophy on audio still stands the same on all cars if you can tune it well enough Kinda how like some people say its almost impossible to get a wider soundstage for a smaller car when indeed many people are able to get the width about 5ft wider than their car. Tuning is the key and I believe that once tuning is mastered in a particular car, there are no need for other drivers to aid. Probably why I also run horns to get imaging and staging easier than with the conventional tweeter

Quick Reply: most bang for buck audio upgrade?