S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

most bang for buck audio upgrade?

Old 01-03-2005, 07:13 AM
mas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight1999,Jan 3 2005, 10:21 AM
Exactly!
I do mean to sound like a jerk...mas, you don't know what your talking about... The installation of a new HU will be a much better way to get clarity, compared to adding a set of stock speakers in the rear... A HU will provide more clean, useable power enabling what ever speakers you have in the door to sound and work better.
I know what I'm talking about, but do you?

On one hand you agree when I say:

"What good is all that clarity/quality if you can't hear it?"

On the other hand you say:

"The installation of a new HU will be a much better way to get clarity, compared to adding a set of stock speakers in the rear"

There are people who don't care about sound quality but all they want is to, lets say, "be able to hear their music with the top down". Adding rear speakers is the cheapest way to achieve this. I'm sure you've been here long enough to know that there are MANY people who've done this and have been happy with the results - even with the OEM HU. Also, upgrading an HU is not as simple as adding speakers in the rear cause then you gotta worry about the dash controls as well (more $$$).

PS: I am assuming there was a typo and you did not really mean to say "I do mean to sound like a jerk"
Old 01-03-2005, 08:03 AM

Has anyone noticed ProV1 hasn't responded to this thread at all...where giving him a bad impression of this forum and I for one don't like it.

Anyway: actually mas, I have rear speakers...Have you ever seen my setup trust me I know what I'm talking about here... I've seen and heard your's and I'll keep my comments about it to myself.

If you think just adding rear speakers to an alreadly crappy stock HU... I think you need to try again, because anyone here knows that adding another set of speakers in the rear without upgrading the HU first is just plan dumb. Mas your basing you advice as if he's poor and has no money. All he said was "i'm not a huge audiophile, i dont need reference quality sound" (like saying I don't need to spend $500 bucks for speakers just someting that will work nicely and is reasonably priced) no where does he say he won't spend money to allow him to hear the mucis clearly!

Let's review shall we:
He has a stock HU.
He has stock speakers
Both of those suck.
So your saying to add more crapping stock components to an already crappy setup??? Thus what,.. making a crappy sounding system sound,... worse??

ProV1: You should get a new HU because that will allow your even stock speakers to preform much better. As mas pointed out you may or may not lose your dash controls. You can get a unit to fix that for you if you so choose however, and its a fairly easy fix.

Also sorry for the stupid arguing... there's no need for it. Some of us that hang out in this forum just hate to see you do something that's not really going to help you. I'd rather give you the facts. You can call me for more help if you need to. PM me if you'd like my cell #

Cheers
Old 01-03-2005, 11:28 AM
mas

darkknight1999: You are making it personal now, I'm not going to go down this road. Xo.

ProV1: I was just trying to present you with a cheap and easy upgrade that's the most bang for the buck and requires minimal hacking. It's not something new, you can do a search for "lucid rear speakers" and find out for yourself that there are many s2k owners who have this as the only mod and are happy with it. These are just a few examples:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=150914=
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...opic=68323&hl=
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...opic=22756&hl=

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Peace!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A new headunit has triple or more power than a stock headunit. Even with one set of stock speakers, youll notice a BIG difference. And its not getting personal. You are just wrong. Why would you add rear speakers to a headunit that cant push it??? Its only 7-10wrms and with the top down, you wont hear all 4 speakers.

V1, get a headunit.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by mas,Jan 3 2005, 03:28 PM
darkknight1999: You are making it personal now, I'm not going to go down this road. Xo.
Your right, I am. An its because I can't stand when people give out information they clearly no nothing about... but thanks for you input... do you really think that a stock HU that can barely push 2 stock speakers is going to do a better job by adding more load to it??? I think not! I'll tell you what though, if I ever wreck my car I'll come talk to you about the suspension and alingments specs though.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:43 PM
mas

Originally Posted by darkknight1999,Jan 3 2005, 06:32 PM
Your right, I am. An its because I can't stand when people give out information they clearly no nothing about... but thanks for you input... do you really think that a stock HU that can barely push 2 stock speakers is going to do a better job by adding more load to it??? I think not! I'll tell you what though, if I ever wreck my car I'll come talk to you about the suspension and alingments specs though.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's your deal dude???
Old 01-04-2005, 03:16 PM

I have a MY05. For the mean while, I elected to keep the stock HU and added rear speakers (Kenwoods). I utilized all of the great info on S2KI and located the rear speaker wires that were pre-existing, did my own cuts into the rear panels with a Dremel, and ran the wires along the sides of the center console. Total cost was less than $80 and it was fun working on the car.

I can not comment on the pre-04 stock HU, but I can attest that while my 05 S may not win car audio awards, it certainly sounds pretty good. With adding the rears, the sound is clear, more robust, and louder. What took say 25 on the volume setting is now achieved at 15 or so.

In the near future, I will likely remove the rear 2 way Kenwoods and put in components for even better sound. Just FYI for those who don't know, the stock front speakers in the 05 are NOT cardboard and actually sound decent.

Good luck in your decision making.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:00 PM

[QUOTE=NFRs2000NYC,Jan 3 2005, 05:47 AM] Dont mean to sound like a prick.....but there is no opinion on this topic here.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:04 PM

precisely, flitcroft

clear as day. HU 1st. period.

Quick Reply: most bang for buck audio upgrade?