S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

most bang for buck audio upgrade?

Old 01-02-2005, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

again,
"Upgading stereo system:

1st. Headunit -> 2nd. Front speakers
or -> 2 channel amp + front speakers
or -> 4 channel amp + front speakers + sub

optional: Rear speakers"

This means: get a headunit first (1st). If you are not satisfied get new front speakers, (2nd)"

& again

"The headunits in the S2k blow. They don't have much power, and they certainly don't put out 4 volts. I don't care if the guy at the circuit sh!tty told you that you need new speakers instead of a HU, those speakers will not perform with the stock headunit. However, your stock speakers will perform with a better HU. For awhile i drove around with stock speakers and an alpine 9833. And while I was not totally satisfied, it sounded way better than the stock set-up."

i.e. -> get a new Headunit first. Run that with your stock speakers. if you still want more get new fronts. At this point decide if you want fronts that require an amp. If they do, buy an amp. All along I said Head Unit first, speakers second.

And yes, Decent fronts and a new Head unit WILL BE THE BEST BANG FOR BUCK UPGRADE.

I apologize for the reposts, but I am getting forced into it.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:30 PM

mas: "Now you'are saying just upgrade the HU and that should make a bigger difference than adding rear speakers with stock HU. Is this right?"

yes, that is right.

me, again: "adding rears to a stock set-up adds the ability to hear music at speed with the top down, but it doesn't ad more clarity/ accuracy. (your front soundstage will remain the same)"

so if all you want is to hear the music at speed with the top down: add rears, if you are interested in improving the sound quality, change out your headunit.

the lucid rears won't sound good with a stock head unit, but you will be able to hear them.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:35 PM

ProV1-what'd be the most bang for buck audio upgrade? i'm not a huge audiophile, i dont need reference quality sound. btw i dont want a sub b/c i cant lose trunk space (need to carry golfbags)

is it replacing HU & stock speakers?
getting speakers behind the seats?
Let me try and help you here a little.

You need to understand a few things first. So with that in mind I will teach you a few things so you can understand what your looking for and to help someone else here understand your need as well.

You mentioned you don't need reference quality sound, because your not a hugh audiophile. No problem here. I understand then that you want clean, clear sound without having to spend and arm and a leg. With that in mind I'll make and explain a few things so you understand why you "should or shouldn't" purchase something.

The first thing is that if you replace the headunit you'll have the ability to adjust the system and tune it to the way you like it. You'll also be able to tune your speakers, and adjust them...and if you'd like add on a set of rears Plus you'll leave yourself open so you can if you choose to build your system larger.

Secondly get a set of front speakers of good quaility to replace your stock junkers... because the stock ones suck big time

So the first thing you should do is get a new HU. Once you have that, you'd want to get a new set of front speakers. Just those two items will make a HUGH difference to the sound in your car. If at that point you feel you need a little more then you should add a set of rears, but only then. Your going to be VERY surprised has to how much better the sound will be in your car once you get a new HU and front speakers.

This might cost you $400-500 bucks total. $300-350 for the HU and the rest for speakers and misc. items to wire the car. You can do the install yourself its easy. Either myself or a few others here could easily walk you though it. Might take you 3-4hours having never done it. If you needed direct help you can PM me.

Have fun!!
Old 01-02-2005, 07:00 PM
mas

Originally Posted by Willie Gee,Jan 2 2005, 10:30 PM
mas: "Now you'are saying just upgrade the HU and that should make a bigger difference than adding rear speakers with stock HU. Is this right?"

yes, that is right.

me, again: "adding rears to a stock set-up adds the ability to hear music at speed with the top down, but it doesn't ad more clarity/ accuracy. (your front soundstage will remain the same)"

so if all you want is to hear the music at speed with the top down: add rears, if you are interested in improving the sound quality, change out your headunit.

the lucid rears won't sound good with a stock head unit, but you will be able to hear them.
Ok, I understand you better now. Thanks!

However, I still don't agree that upgrading JUST the HU is the best bang for the buck mod.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:16 PM

we don't have to agree, that's the beauty of having a forum. Everyone has a voice.

ProV1, i hope we helped!

Old 01-02-2005, 09:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

best bang for the buck? probably some pyle subwoofers.

jk

to me, it all really depends. if a headunit has a lot of flexibility (more than 5 bands of EQ, has xovers, etc) then I would say its better than getting some speakers. If the headunit is limited to only "treble" and "bass" adjustments, i would get speakers.

If you have good tuning capabilities, than a good aftermarket headunit will be able to make things sound better. With the stock headunit, you are limited to it's fixed processor in which the EQ on the deck itself sets the curve so make the cheap speakers sound "better."

This is why I never install anything until I have all my equipments so ensure I know what i'm working with. I can't stand just having one part of the system done. it drives me nuts.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:50 PM

I didn't want to spend a lot of money and I didn't want to give up my spare or trunk space like you. Here's my setup and the reasons I chose them.

Alpine 9833 ($280): More expensive than the others (9827 or 9830) but I'm saving because it has the vdrive amp which is more powerfull than the on board power on the lower models. This was my way of saving money and space by not having to buy an external amp. It plays Mp3/wma, so that I don't have to spend more money and use up space with a cd changer. I did have to run a seperate 10 gauge power cable from the battery as this deck required it for the built in amp.

ADS 236is ($150): I knew that 2 channels on a deck would not be enough to power component speakers, so my first requirement in components was that it could be bi amplifiable. Front channels for tweeters and rears for the mid/bass. This way I am using all 4 channels of power from the deck. Since I would not be adding a subwoofer, I wanted speakers that would play as low frequencies as possible. These are rated down to 40hz. Some of the higher model ADS seem to be at 80hz.

Dynamat Extreme ($35): Since I'm not adding a subwoofer, I used the dynamat to "amplify" what little bass I had. I installed one side without dynamat and listened to it with and without. It seems to make a really big difference in my setup. Half the box was enough to do both doors, so I sold the other half for $15.

I think my goals were the same as yours when I started. The system sounds great, especially for around $500 total. If I ever feel the need for more bass, I'd just pick up a small self amplified subwoofer that I could remove from the trunk if I needed the space.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:47 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont mean to sound like a prick.....but there is no opinion on this topic here. There is no "I agree or I disagree." The best audio mod in an S2000 is a headunit. Period.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:35 AM
mas

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Jan 3 2005, 08:47 AM
Dont mean to sound like a prick.....but there is no opinion on this topic here. There is no "I agree or I disagree." The best audio mod in an S2000 is a headunit. Period.
I don't mean to sound like a prick either.... but we're talking "best bang for the buck" here.

What good is all that clarity/quality if you can't hear it?

As an experiment, with all else stock, take a set of those crappy OEM speakers and install them in the rear. Now compare this with a HU being the only upgrade. See which of these as an only mod help you hear the sound better.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:21 AM

What good is all that clarity/quality if you can't hear it?
Exactly!
I do mean to sound like a jerk...mas, you don't know what your talking about... The installation of a new HU will be a much better way to get clarity, compared to adding a set of stock speakers in the rear... A HU will provide more clean, useable power enabling what ever speakers you have in the door to sound and work better.

Quick Reply: most bang for buck audio upgrade?