S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

most bang for buck audio upgrade?

Old 01-01-2005, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default most bang for buck audio upgrade?

what'd be the most bang for buck audio upgrade? i'm not a huge audiophile, i dont need reference quality sound. btw i dont want a sub b/c i cant lose trunk space (need to carry golfbags)

is it replacing HU & stock speakers?
getting speakers behind the seats?

thx!
Old 01-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headunit, new speakers front (and rear if you can afford it)
Old 01-02-2005, 06:03 AM
mas

Originally Posted by ProV1,Jan 1 2005, 11:58 PM
getting speakers behind the seats?
This would be the most bang for the buck upgrade, imo.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upgrading the HU is louder and cleaner than using the stock one to power 4 speakers. I would get both if you can.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:32 PM

Upgading stereo system:

1st. Headunit -> 2nd. Front speakers
or -> 2 channel amp + front speakers
or -> 4 channel amp + front speakers + sub

optional: Rear speakers

The headunits in the S2k blow. They don't have much power, and they certainly don't put out 4 volts. I don't care if the guy at the circuit sh!tty told you that you need new speakers instead of a HU, those speakers will not perform with the stock headunit. However, your stock speakers will perform with a better HU. For awhile i drove around with stock speakers and an alpine 9833. And while I was not totally satisfied, it sounded way better than the stock set-up.

you can skip getting the rear speakers, if you don't mind not having a rear soundstage. IMO you don't really need to amp the rears, a good headunit can deliver enough power to make the music three dimensional. adding rears to a stock set-up adds the ability to hear music at speed with the top down, but it doesn't ad more clarity/ accuracy. (your front soundstage will remain the same)

The Fronts are the most important part of your stereo. When you do choose to get new fronts you will notice that the better components require more power. This is when you will decide if you are getting an amp. If you want some bass at this point, get a four channel amp that will also run your sub. OVER POWER YOUR SPEAKERS. give them headroom. This is when you decide if you want a good system or a system worthy of envy.

ProV1, If you do the math on getting rears, it's pretty expensive after the S-pods or the Lucid panel cuts. I got the s-pods and I love them. But for bang for the buck without audiophile quality: get a good highpowered headunit and decent fronts. It'll make a world of difference and you will be happy. If you want to step up to amping the fronts it will be even better, but that's $$$.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:30 PM
mas

FYI: This is what the guy wants:
Originally Posted by ProV1,Jan 1 2005, 11:58 PM
what'd be the most bang for buck audio upgrade? i'm not a huge audiophile, i dont need reference quality sound.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by mas,Jan 2 2005, 06:30 PM
FYI: This is what the guy wants:
FYI this is what i wrote:

"ProV1, If you do the math on getting rears, it's pretty expensive after the S-pods or the Lucid panel cuts. I got the s-pods and I love them. But for bang for the buck without audiophile quality: get a good high powered headunit and decent fronts. It'll make a world of difference and you will be happy. If you want to step up to amping the fronts it will be even better, but that's $$$."
Old 01-02-2005, 05:02 PM
mas

Originally Posted by Willie Gee,Jan 2 2005, 07:10 PM
FYI this is what i wrote:

"ProV1, If you do the math on getting rears, it's pretty expensive after the S-pods or the Lucid panel cuts. I got the s-pods and I love them. But for bang for the buck without audiophile quality: get a good high powered headunit and decent fronts. It'll make a world of difference and you will be happy. If you want to step up to amping the fronts it will be even better, but that's $$$."
Lucid Automotive's S2000 Pre-cut Rear Speaker Panels = $62.25

Lucid Automotive's S2000 Panasonic 5.25" 2-way system (including panels) = #99.75

There is also a cheaper rear speaker system (including panels) for $74.99.

Now, please show me how you can get a "good high powered headunit" AND "decent fronts" for $100.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:21 PM

Lucid panels and Panasonic speakers: It's $100 spent for nominal improvements especially with a stock HU.

Prov1 does not have a $100 budget. Prov1 wants to know

"what'd be the most bang for buck audio upgrade?"

My answer: you'll get more by adding a better headunit.

that's my point.

again:

"those speakers will not perform with the stock headunit. However, your stock speakers will perform with a better HU."
Old 01-02-2005, 05:53 PM
mas

Originally Posted by Willie Gee,Jan 2 2005, 09:21 PM
My answer: you'll get more by adding a better headunit.
This was not your answer, your answer was:

"get a good high powered headunit and decent fronts".

Now you'are saying just upgrade the HU and that should make a bigger difference than adding rear speakers with stock HU. Is this right?

I did not mean that Prov1 has a $100 budget. $100 is the the cost of Lucid Panasonic system so I'm just saying find me a HU (and speakers?) for that money that makes the same (or bigger) "bang".

Quick Reply: most bang for buck audio upgrade?