S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Monster Boycott

Old 01-07-2005, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

boycottmonstercableproducts.com is open

Cthree, this has (almost) nothing to do with the three large companies targeted here. They settled to reduce risk to shareholders. They aren't concerned with doing what's right, they want to maximize profits -- it's their duty to their shareholders.

The problem is that trademarks are granted by us, you and I, the public. Trademarks are designed to encourage competition by allowing original ideas to remain profitable for companies and encourage new original ideas. Originally, trademarks were not used to protect a concept of a brand. That is a fairly new concept.

The problem here is that Monster Cable Products, Inc. is using trademark law as a form of warfare, and is likely anticipating that they will make a profit from doing this. This abuse of our courts (remember MCP is wasting tons of tax dollars here) and this gross abuse of trademark law is what bothers me. In addition, MCP, inc. is hurting real people whose businesses are their lifeblood. See the case study of Monster Vintage below who sell vintage clothing. There is no possibilty of financial harm through confusion or degradation of the (shudder) "Monster" brand from this small business. MCP's lawsuit here can only be thought of legal warfare or aggressive trademark defense, depending on how you see it.

http://www.monstervintage.com/#monstercable
Old 01-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in with the boycott

Don't think I will trash all the stuff I currently have, but definately will not buy anymore of their stuff.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:36 PM

EMI shielded fiber-optic....I don't think so.
you do know that light (visible and not) is a form of ElectroMagnetic waves.... right?
Old 01-07-2005, 03:59 PM

Sesame Street should sue Monster Cable Inc. for their use of the word Monster. It is degrading the integrity of their character, the "Cookie Monster", c. 1970.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:40 PM

Posted by PJK3
"you do know that light (visible and not) is a form of ElectroMagnetic waves.... right?"

Yes, but...

How would EMI or other changing magnetic field couple over onto the non-electrical conducting fiber.

Edit: I can't seem to figure out the Quote button....o well
Old 01-08-2005, 12:36 AM
Former Moderator

I was just goign to go out and buy some of their stuff for our new dvd player and other random things but after reading this they will not be getting my business.

Karim
Old 01-08-2005, 01:18 AM

Why doesn't somebody trademark the word, "The" or "Restaurant" or "Market"? I don't understand how these trademarks work. Isn't Monster a fairly common word also?
Old 01-08-2005, 02:50 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn, I thought their marketing sucked, now I know their business ethics do too.

These people sell overpriced snake oil. If anything perhaps the 'Monster' companies should all get together in a class action against Monster Cable for bring the name 'monster' into disrepute.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:05 PM

Arrow

All I have to say about this is : MOSNTER!!! <~~~ I don't wanna get sued.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:02 AM

<disclaimer>
I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV.

I'm no fan of stupid lawsuits and the stupid lawyers who file them.
</dislcaimer>

What I've been told by a lawyer is that a company is required, by law, to defend their trademark. If they do not, they run the risk of losing it (allowing it to lapse into the public domain).

So this may simply be a case of Monster [Cable] doing that.

Let's remember, lawyers write our laws and then people have to hire lawyers to help them navigate said laws.

Quick Reply: Monster Boycott