S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Minor Audio Upgrade Suggestions Wanted!

Old 01-10-2013, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor Audio Upgrade Suggestions Wanted!

Hey guys,

I have an 2003 s2k on a stock stereo system and to simply put it I want a better sound output at the cheapest cost possible. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only speakers on this car is on the door panel right? A speaker and tweeter on each side. Well anyways I want to upgrade my speakers and maybe the tweeters if its worth it and the cost is low. I do not want to run an amp, sub, or head unit (I prefer OEM look). Would greatly appreciate your suggestions!

-Peter
Old 01-11-2013, 06:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't gain much, if anything, by replacing only the speakers. You'll need more power as well as the stock head unit is weak IIRC.

Audio's highly subjective. Better and worth are highly subjective no matter what the topic. Go out, listen to stuff and select speakers that you like. Then find the proper equipment to drive them using the specs on the speakers you've selected. You'll probably need an amp at the very least. You might be happy with just a new head unit but it's impossible for any of us to tell you what you'll be satisfied with.

Originally Posted by Peter_La
I prefer OEM look
You need to decide whether better sound or "OEM look" is a bigger priority.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^As takeshi said, upgrading the speakers alone won't provide much. But if that is the route you want to go, there are plenty of good speakers what will work within stock constraints for a very good price. Installation is actually very straightforward and you can save money by doing it yourself. Do a search in this subforum for the DIY. Try these to start and don't forget to check out what others have done:

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All...stars%5bimg%5d

In general, a 6.5" set of speakers and 1" tweeters will work in the S. You can get some 6 3/4" speakers to fit as well.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

upgrading the speakers wont do much without the power, for the most impact youll need an amp. but the first step to upgrading the sound system is that you need something to interface with the amp, which usually means replacing the headunit. there are sound processors that would work with oem headunits but i wont get into that. an aftermarket headunit would have the most immediate impact because it has an internal amp, not that much power but noticeable upgrading from the oem headunit.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:48 AM

Awesome thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely do some more research.

-Peter
Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I disagree with the others. I still have the factory radio and I added two more speakers behind the seats. The factory radio is pinned to accommodate four speakers, but it is missing the pins to plug and play the rear speaker addition. I will try to find my write up. I love the way it sounds now. I actually had to fade to the front speakers more. This is the cheapest way to add more sound with the factory radio and no amp.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:55 PM

Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I do like that! Well done. Did you just use self tappers to secure?

I assume you had to run the cables back to the head unit yeah?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by SCZ4
Now I do like that! Well done. Did you just use self tappers to secure?

I assume you had to run the cables back to the head unit yeah?

Yes, self tapping screws in the top holes only. The speakers are 4x6. I had to trim the inside of the vent only as my speaker was a two way with the tweeter protruding forward. With a one way 4x6 I bet no trimming would be required. The metal behind the panel was bent upward a little so the magnet would not hit. This too was because the size of my magnet, so it may not be required on some speakers.

Yes, the cables need to be run to the back of the head unit and you need to follow the instructions for inserting the pins on the back of the factory harness. Instructions are on the site somewhere I think.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by HS2K007
I'm planning out my own system upgrade and I particularly like this setup for the rears because it allows for an easy conversion back to stock. What speaker model did you use? Presumably, a 4" round speaker would fit back there as well? I ask because I'm putting HAT Mirus 6.5" speakers in the doors and would like to keep my speakers matched. HAT doesn't make a 4x6, but they do have a round Mirus 4" with 2 7/8"/53 mm depth. Is there enough room back there for this speaker?

Quick Reply: Minor Audio Upgrade Suggestions Wanted!