S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Lucid and the "rear speaker" debate

Old 01-09-2002, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lucid and the "rear speaker" debate

I have read with great interest the debate back and forth over installing rear speakers in the S2000. I found myself very unimpressed with Honda
Old 01-09-2002, 03:52 PM

I have to say I agree with you on everything you've said.

I took a small part of my day, and finally did my install. I would have done it sooner but its been freezing and I don't work well when my fingers are frozen together.

Anyhow, to install my JVC SH99 deck and rear Lucid Panels (which I won in the December 17th pre-xmas chat) and a PAC SWI-X, took me less than 2 hours.

This is the easiest project, even if you have no skills at installing car audio, with Lucids instructions a monkey could wire you're ride.

First off, I pre-wired and soldered all the connections, and I'm glad I did. The final assembly of putting the headunit back into the cavity isn't an easy task given the amount of wire and hardware that fits in it. That was the hardest part of the install.

15 mins of careful soldering and heat shrinking the connections and I was out the door and in the car.

Removing the deck is a snap, just follow the included instructions.

Everything I needed to install was included in the kit, a PAC SWI-X, speaker panels, speaker wire, relay, resistors etc.

People seem to be afraid of the PAC units, don't be. I'm not good with car audio and I had no problem soldering the 3 wires and programming it. Very simple, again just follow the instructions included.

I have a hardtop, and the wiring harness for the defroster runs through the alcove where the drivers side speaker panel fits, so with a bit of adjusting it slid in easily, it takes a bit of time to relocate that cable pack..but its nothing but undoing some velcro and pushing the wire to the back.

After you've wired everything, its about as simple as plugging the harnesses into their designated locations, and turn it on. I programmed the pac in about 5 mins, after getting used to how it indicates its status and then carefully put it in the radio cavity. Put the headunit in (re-cycled the mounting brackets from the stock unit) screwed it down, tested it to make sure it was still working...placed the IR lead from the pac a short distance from the IR eye of the JVC and tested that as well. Moulding replaced and it was finished.

Lemme tell you the sound is so much better with the rear speakers, hardtop on or off, softtop as well. Really defines the sound and lets you enjoy it instead of wonder what you're hearing at high speeds. The JVC has plenty of good clean power too for those of us who don't insist on running a big amp and subs.

Makes me wonder why Honda just didn't put them in there to begin with. Its a must have if you enjoy music in the car. For me there was no debate on if I was going to need these or not, I heard them once and knew it was for me.

Thanks goes out to Lucid for his help and workmanship. You had a great idea and ran with it, keep it up!

Vince
Old 01-09-2002, 04:07 PM
Former Moderator

No debate, I've raved about Lucids panels, and his excellent service.
It is a mod that should definatly be included with the car. Honda should Pay him 10 million bucks, shake his hand and be done with it.
Hands downthe best thing I've done to my car yet.

Dog, Glad to see you got everything rocking. Looking forward to hearing it...You lucky bastard
Old 01-09-2002, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Mindcore
Dog, Glad to see you got everything rocking. Looking forward to hearing it...You lucky bastard
Yeah man, its amazing, I sat there for a good hour afterwards with an MP3 disk I burned and just grinned...then came in and emailed Lucid how happy I was...went back out for a while longer and listened some more.

Probably am going to get rotten cold, but who cares hehe..well worth it.

You'll love it and have to have MP3 as well.
Old 01-09-2002, 05:01 PM

Lucid is the man.

My first harness had a slight problem (I think a wire came loose), without me asking he Fedex'd me a new one the next day.

I love my speakers!
Old 01-09-2002, 08:06 PM

I have to say I agree with everything said above... especially the customer service.

There is NO debate about adding rear speakers IMHO, just do it. Don't expect Carnegie Hall and you won't be disappointed.

Expect a crisp, clear audio, and he will meet you expectations...

Thanks again Lucid for the customer service............
Old 01-09-2002, 11:49 PM

Let me twenty-second this. The speakers sound great, the installation was easy (especially with those lucid instructions), and the customer service was way beyond what I normally experience.

cal
Old 01-10-2002, 10:41 AM

I would say the overall improvement in sound was significant but not amazing. On the other hand, the cost / benefit ration was excellent, and the quality of materials and support from Lucid was outstanding. An excellent improvement in my top down life!
Old 01-10-2002, 07:12 PM

OK so I am sold on Lucid's harness and rear panels. My question is what speakers should I install in the rear panels that would sound the best with the stock front speakers and the stock '02 deck?
Old 01-11-2002, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by TypeSH
OK so I am sold on Lucid's harness and rear panels. My question is what speakers should I install in the rear panels that would sound the best with the stock front speakers and the stock '02 deck?
The Polk's have been very good and so have the Kenwood. I'll also put up a no fuss bundle for those who want the compliementing drop in front speakers as well for both brands (within the next week).

Thank you everyone for your kind words. It makes it all worthwhile!

Quick Reply: Lucid and the "rear speaker" debate