S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Looking for car navigation

Old 09-03-2007, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would of thought you could of found it cheaper then that since its only 499 at best buy..
But anyways I like reading the people reviews on it, especially the negative ones, most of the negative comments on it is human error and there stupid ass didn't read the instructions.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth_SUX_,Sep 3 2007, 01:53 PM
Ok guys I work with all of these all day long..
So heres the low down..

GARMIN and garmin only.
NEVER a tomtom, they are the worst gps company out there, when it breaks and it will your screwed they have no customer support or service.
hmm strange, cuz i work with these everyday, and people love tomtom
I guess it's personal preference, if your looking at magellan, you might as well just get garmin, they both use the same company software, but i find the magellan's don't have the POI like the garmins do.

like Stealth_Sux_ said, Garmin is the best
Old 09-03-2007, 07:56 PM

Garmin ALL THE WAY!
Old 09-03-2007, 08:29 PM

+1 for the nuvi 650/660

Fits perfectly in the left corner of the dash of the S
Old 09-03-2007, 09:27 PM

I have the Nuvi 360 and it works great w/ the modifry dash kit....

Old 09-04-2007, 12:16 AM

I borrowed a Garmin 650 and used it in the S for my recent move from SC to Vegas. I can't believe how well it works. If I were buying one, I wouldn't even consider anything other than a Garmin. It's got every point of interest you could ever want and it worked perfectly 100% of the time on my 2500 mile trip.

My wife has the Honda factory navi in her '07 Accord and while it's really cool how it's integrated, there are a lot of things on the Garmin that are better.

Buy the Garmin, either the 300 series or 600 series. I think the 600 is also larger/ widescreen right? You wouldn't want it to be too much smaller. it's tiny already.

JASON
Old 09-04-2007, 12:37 PM

I have the Nuvi 680, which adds the MSN Direct based traffic and other (novelty) information, such as gas prices, weather and movie times. I haven't experienced a traffic situation yet with the Garmin in the car, so I can't speak for how well that feature works.

I like the widescreen of the 600 series, and find the Garmin interface to be very logical and easy to use. I purchased the Garmin Portable Friction Mount which works quite well on the center of the dash in both the S2K and my wife's RDX. If you aren't hardwiring, I'd think center mount is more convenient for reaching the 12v outlet than the left side of the dash (cord down dash, and between center tunnel and passenger seat). In my case, the MSN receiver is built into the power cord, so I can't hardwire (I suppose there is a way, but I wouldn't be able to move it from car to car).
Old 09-04-2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stealth_SUX_,Sep 3 2007, 12:53 PM
Ok guys I work with all of these all day long..
So heres the low down..

GARMIN and garmin only.
NEVER a tomtom, they are the worst gps company out there, when it breaks and it will your screwed they have no customer support or service.
Magellan as a second choice, But only get the newer Maestro series.. All the other series from magellans are nice but the maestro series is very advanced and is made much better quality and doesn't look as cheap...
Now back to garmin, they have one of the highest rating gps's out there, rated by users and companies.

The difference between the 660 and the 350:
The 660 has a bigger screen 4.3 inch and bluetooth for wireless calling
The 350 has the smaller 3.5 inch screen and no bluetooth.
Now personally I like the bigger screen and could care less about the bluetooth, because there is to much road noise.
I would go with the nuvi 650 it is the same as the 660 but without the bluetooth. Best Buy had it on sale last week for $499. U might be able to find it cheaper online also they had the 350 for $399 last week as well..

Garmin is the only company, they have very good customer support, they were designed in the USA, unlike TOMTOM who gps was made for europe and they just reflashed it with US maps.
And NO the antenna is not needed, unless you drive like a SEMI-Truck..

Seriously I know my GPS's, I sell them every day, and I get to see which ones come back because they break, so ask me your questions..
I am looking at the Nuvi 250 and 250W. I like that they don't have the antenna that sticks out. Have you heard of any issues with these?
Old 09-04-2007, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the insight Stealth_SUX_. I also PMed you a question, but will pose it here in case anyone else has the answer.

Are you able to hook (hard wire) the audio of any of these devices to the car's stereo system? I'm not too keen on the FM transmitter function that some of these devices have.

If not, are you able to hear the spoken directions on the unit with the top down at speed on the highway? Does it speak the actual street names or does it just say things like, "Turn right 300 meters ahead"?

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by shamoo,Sep 4 2007, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the insight Stealth_SUX_. I also PMed you a question, but will pose it here in case anyone else has the answer.

Are you able to hook (hard wire) the audio of any of these devices to the car's stereo system? I'm not too keen on the FM transmitter function that some of these devices have.

If not, are you able to hear the spoken directions on the unit with the top down at speed on the highway? Does it speak the actual street names or does it just say things like, "Turn right 300 meters ahead"?

Thanks!
in the case of the Garmin Nuvi line, you can select from male and female 'Text to Speech' voices in American, British, or Australian English (or other languages if applicable) that will announce the street names as part of the directions ("in .2 miles, turn right onto Maple Avenue"). they also have non-TTS voices that will not announce the street names.

I find that I can hear the audio prompts from the unit's speaker, but not too well with the stereo at a suitable listening level. But the visual prompts are often more than sufficient (street names and turn direction in a box at the top, and distance to the turn in a box at the lower corner).

Overall, I am very pleased with the Nuvi. It does mapping/directions in a way that I don't have to do any extra pressing of buttons to see what I want.

However, I have had some difficulty pulling up POIs that are a distance away (which is why I'm mapping them in the first place...) when closer locations of the same place (or someplace else with a common word in the name) exist. It pulls up the first page of listings pretty fast, but the next set seemed to take forever.

I also am not clear on how the traffic information will end up working when I find myself stuck in traffic, ie, how easy it will be to find a detour route w/o actually exiting the freeway/turning off the road and letting it recalibrate. If a much faster route would be found if I stay in traffic for another exit or two, I'd like to know.

Quick Reply: Looking for car navigation