S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Little info about rear speaker install.......

Old 05-04-2004, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently installed a set of Pioneer rear speakers in a set of homemade s-pods and discovered a great little piece of info. After reading many posts on how to make the HU connection, including soldering the wires to the pins, pushing the wires into the harness and using the LUCID cable on MY00-03, I decided to examine the situation myself. Upon inspection of the radio harness pin configuration I realized that I had seen that style pin before. I am a computer technician and I realized that those pins are used on an ATX power supply for computers. I proceeded to dig up an old burned up power supply and removed four pins from the small connector that plugs into the floppy drive unit. These can be removed using a jeweler's screwdriver. Insert the screwdriver into the small slot on the top of the plug and push the locking tab down and pull the pin out. I clipped the wires leaving enough to splice my speaker wires onto. These pins are a perfect fit for the HU harness. Just bend the locking tab back out and insert into the radio harness. I used the wiring diagram from McGuyver's website and made the connection. Everything is working great without the hassle of the other methods. If you need to make this connection and happen to have an old power supply laying around....give it a try. Hope this bit of info helps someone out there.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:11 PM

Very nice Good call

You should do a how to regarding this.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*nods*

do a how to, and we'll have it linked up in the FAQ.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:18 AM

I'll break out the digital camera and takes some shots of the process.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:45 AM

I tried some camera shots yesterday but they were just not up to par..........will try again today.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:49 AM

Use macro mode to take the shot. It will show up better when you're up close and personal with the pins.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:54 AM

Thanks.....I'll give it a try.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:18 PM

I just tried it today, with my new components and it works great, plugs right in, probably the easiest solution, after you get the pins out of the power supply.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:25 PM

As promised I have taken some pictures........the first one is the actual connector. This connector can be removed from an old power supply or purchased from a computer place. It should be available as a Y connector or add on for more power connection. Remember....it is the power connector for a floppy drive unit.

This picture shows how to remove the pin from the connector.......I have identified the pin lock with a drill bit.

This picture shows the lock that needs to be bent back out slightly to lock into the HU harness.

As stated earlier this pin will slide into the OEM harness and lock right in.

Hope these pictures help.

Old 05-23-2004, 09:40 PM

Just used these and added some Infinity 5002i's in the rear. GREAT mod and these plugs work perfectly. Simply plug these wires into the OEM harness and run your own speaker wires and voila!

Thanks for the tip. This should be under the FAQ's!

Quick Reply: Little info about rear speaker install.......