S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Latest SIRIUS plug 'n play radio reviews

Old 10-01-2005, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latest SIRIUS plug 'n play radio reviews

Greetings:

My struggle to upgrade my system has taken a turn for the worse, and I won't be able to upgrade my head/stereo for a while longer. Ok, a lot longer. I'll all say is be very careful before suing a home builder.javascript:add_smilie(%22%22)

Anyway, I want to migrate to SIRIUS the first of the year. I'm not making any claim SIRIUS is better or worse than XM, I'm after specific content. SIRIUS is the only option: EPL, NFL, and HS. I detail only so I'm not accused of being desperate to hear Martha Stewart!

I've been looking at the plug 'n play options. I've read a ton of reviews, and frankly can't find any pattern. I was also hoping there would be some new/interesting options for this year's holiday season, and nothing really has come out [other than a recordable device which is not a "live" radio.]

The option of a switching to a less than desired head with SIRIUS as a temporary option is ruled out as I have a winter car. Plus, I'd find it hard to rationalise upgrading then upgrading again. It's my personality type. I do got to EJ therapy.

I know there are kits to convert the XM head in S to SIRIUS. The cost/benefit points to plug 'n play. Budget is roughly max $130, although I'm serious considering units under $50.

Does anyone have a SIRIUS plug 'n play set-up in their S? Which one? Is the FM transmitter ok? [I know my iPod one is hit or miss.] Which model do you have? Would you recommend it? What, if anything, are disappointments? Is there anything I should know that you've learned?

Thanks much for sharing!

an_other

check out my invisible avatar!
Old 10-09-2005, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up purchasing a SIRIUS Replay 2. It was really a toss-up. My choice was based solely on the size of the unit and ease of moving it from one place to another.

XACT communications has some well clever products coming out for the holiday scene. I passed as I read too many horror stories about their customer service.

I did everything through Best Buy. I always feel dirty purchasing stuff there. Anyway, my sole reason was to get a 4 year extended warranty. I've read the components tend to break [especially the antennae], so why not pay $40 for an insurance policy?

I did place the unit in the S2000. My intent is not a permanent installation, just for special trips, etc.

I placed the antenna in the "urban legend" secret compartment. If there truly is a secret compartment, I would not confirm it exists. Plugged in everything, and chose a RF frequency. The RF frequency was surprisingly good [although I probably use a tape adapter in my other car.] You can occasionally notice it on talk radio when there's a competing station. I only received one drop out of signal in my driving of four hours. I've heard horror stories about this, and just wanted to share my experience. The SIRIUS also gets reception in my house garage which was not expected.

Sizewise it's much bigger than the XM Roady 2 as you have to include the dock for connections. It's about one half an inch too big to fit in the center console. A bummer. I tend to drive with it there, and the console open. I've also rested it between the gearbox and radio. Although that's not a solution with the prospect of "aggressive driving." You can modify the display to amber to match controls. I'm still digging the factory default blue.

As of now, I'm happier than I thought I'd be. The set-up cost is a bit more than I was wanting, but now the sunk cost is done I'm over it. More than the units or vendors, I highly recommend satellite radio.

XM has better variety of options, and lower overall startup cost. I chose SIRIUS by content. Which is saying my personal taste.

I strongly urge anyone who loves music or sports to consider Satellite Radio!