S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Laser Speeding Ticket

Old 04-12-2013, 04:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by franky
valentine one is your solution. its the best radar for your money.
Again, RD is useless for laser. Detection of laser is just a ticket notifier. In any case, even if you're just looking at RD's, best is subjective as it is with any topic. The V1 is certainly a good option but there are plenty of other excellent options out there as well. No RD is one-size-fits-all. Even as one who prefers the V1 I wouldn't blindly recommend it to everyone. Each person has to find a solution that fits that specific person best.

Originally Posted by ghostsnake
regarding the laser jammers, if a LEO points his gun at you and it comes up jammed, wouldn't that be a good reason to pull you over for using an illegal jammer?
1. They're not illegal in all jurisdictions.
2. Jam codes & inability to read speed are not uncommon with laser guns. Google or look around Youtube and you'll find clips of guns with jam codes and no vehicle or jammer in the viewfinder. See if you can find a laser testing meet in your area. It's very educational to get first hand experience with operating laser guns.
3. Proper operation of a laser jammer addresses this. You can't just blast past an officer (keep in mind they're trained to visually estimate speed) and you can't just set-and-forget your jammer.

Again, read up on a suitable resource such as RadarDetector.net's forums.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE:

Court date came and afterwards my attorney called me and said we had three options.

a) Try to fight it.The officer did not note down the city on the citation only that it was in the 2200 block so he may have not have proven jurisdiction for the citation, however it would be a difficult approach on our end.

b) Judge offered a dismissal for a $150 fine, citation goes away, and I have to agree to 20 hours of community service in the next four weeks.

c) Citation can be deferred. $150 fine and if I get another citation in the same city within 12 months of the court date, AND it isn't beaten in court, then both tickets stick and I'm S.O.L.

I opted for the deferral, C.

I'd normally jump all over option B but I work 70+ hours/week and I can't afford to miss any days.

So looks like I'm going to be driving miss daisy for the next year.

My general driving habits since this incident have been normal with the exception of any long/clear areas where there may be the use of laser. Luckly I'm mostly on curvy back roads and my radar detector informs me of danger before I even get around the corner.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:22 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Get a decent radar detector. There are a few good ones, but this is the type of thing were you get the best, or don't bother to get one at all.

A Valetine V1 has my vote.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, a radar detector is just a ticket notifier with laser. Use the right tool for the job (assuming it isn't illegal in your jurisdiction).
Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by franky
valentine one is your solution. its the best radar for your money.
bullshit. i've had v1 for like 7 years now

V1 is useless against laser and its pretty much useless in my state because most cops use laser these days
Old 07-31-2013, 11:56 AM

^ everything takeshi said!

I had a old Blinder m20 on my s2k. I could get a JTG to 200 ft on a Stalker lidar gun. Truspeed and the better guns, i got punched through at 600 ft or so, as tested by the late Stealth Stalker. A newer system will definitely out perform what i had, but all of the police around me use Stalkers soo it was adequate for my needs.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car manufacture should be sued for selling performance cars that are not intended to go the speed limit. Not to mention the advertisements they use glorifying speed to sell their cars. It's the same thing the tobacco companies have done for years.

Now look I'm addicted! LOL.

Drive Fast Take Chances.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:51 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you mount the V1 correctly, you can get a little notice with laser.

I've been notified of laser probably about a dozen times over the last few years. Mount the unit low on the windshield pointed exactly straight ahead and level. You can occasionally catch stray laser if the police is way far away where the beam has expanded a bit, and is being pointed at a car directly in front of you. But, you will never be saved if the police is pointing it directly at you.

The save occurs when the police simply moves his gun because he's not holding if perfectly steady.