S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

just speakers

Old 08-07-2001, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put sony ES 6.5s in the door. worked out well, fit well and put out some killer sound... highly recommended, about $175. They handle 50watts nominal and 200watts peak.

tkmak

'01 silverstone/black
Old 08-07-2001, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Kenwood Excelon xr600 speakers are also drop - in and excellent with the stock head. They are efficient.

With louder volumes that an aftermarket head permits, they do start to get a distorted sound.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:25 PM

I just finished my front speaker upgrade by installing Polk ES602a units in the doors. I used Metra DW-7800SH adaptors to bridge between the stock speaker plugs and the Polk terminals (note that this adapter actually lists the 2000 S2000 on its compatibility chart on the back of the package).

The install took about thirty minutes per door. I did not upgrade the wiring and have retained the stock head unit. It would have been faster but for poor lighting in my garage and difficulty getting a straight alignment with the mounting screws.

I took the car on the freeway with the top down at 70 mph and was totally amazed by the improvement. With the volume at one half of what I would have normally run I can hear more sound more clearly. Even over the Neuspeed exhaust. Absolutely worth the expense and the work. I can't wait to install companion ES402a speakers in the rear panel using Lucid's harness. My only debate is whether to cut the panels myself or use Lucid's pre-fabricated units.

Many thanks to all who have posted here and on other threads on the subject of speaker upgrades. Particular thanks to McGyver for the photo spread and detailed instructions on door removal and replacement.
Old 08-08-2001, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Picked up Polk 602As at Circuit City yesterday, they listed for $99.95. Showed the salesman the Crutchfield ad for $79.95 and they matched it. Of course I bought the extended 3 year replace if "anything" goes wrong warranty for 19.95, which brought me close to the original 99.95. Will get them installed this weekend, can't wait.

By the way Polk is still running the promotion, here in AZ at least:
if you buy 1 set of Polks you can get a second cheaper set at half off. So you could get a set of 602As for 99.95, 402As for 79.95 less half, and get both sets for ~$140.00, not a bad deal.

I have ordered the 402As from lucid already installed in the rear panels and couldn't take advantage of the Polk deal.
Old 08-10-2001, 03:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KDuke
[B]I just finished my front speaker upgrade by installing Polk ES602a units in the doors.
Old 08-10-2001, 07:29 AM

Contact lucid. If all you want is wire routing instructions, I'm sure he can send those to you separately for little or no cost. But from what I understand, if you want to do this yourself, you'll need a harness adapter from Honda that costs $40 to $50. Lucid's "kit" includes everything required for a clean install.

This is what I did:
Contacted lucid via PM, asked for Polk 402A's installed in rear panels.
Lucid said he could do it. He sent me removal instructions for rear panels.
I removed my rear panels and sent them to him in PA.
He bought & installed the 402A speakers in my rear panels.
Panels w/speakers installed & wired were returned to me.

I will install the panels this weekend in time for the trip to the So Cal Irvine event w/ 65 other Stooks. His install kit includes all wiring needed for the install, a plug-in connector for the stock radio/CD player (harness), and easy to use install instructions, that even I can follow.

Lucid's price to me for this service- $182. Well worth it in my opinion, and if you're pushy like me and are willing to foot overnight FEDEX charges you can get this done in 3 days.

Look for Polk 402A speaker install in the Electronics forum. Those are my panels, just before he shipped them back to me. Thanks lucid, you're awsome, dude.
Old 08-10-2001, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by pcovers
I bought speakers for teh rear, but am a bit confused on how to wire to the stock amp and where to route the wires.
If you're not much into wiring things up yourself, spring for lucid's wiring harness. If you feel comfortable splicing in a few wires, then check out my webpage for the rear output location on the stock connector. Remember, the mute button does NOT mute the rear outputs on the stock head.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Ha ha. This thread is actually older than my car, but this is what I found when I did a search. So... 11 years later, what are the best door speakers if you are not changing anything else? Yup, I've got the stock head unit and do not want to change it. I have an 02 so I do have tweeters and would consider replacing both.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:54 AM

I have a 2000 so I don't have tweeters. Similar to you, I'm just going for speakers that fit with no modifications. I went to Crutchfield and saw the limited amount of speakers that were available and chose the ones with the best review. I bought these. http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Sli.../dp/B000P0NJPS

I'm waiting for them to come in the mail and install them.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:37 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks 2soon. That price can't be beat! Please let us know how they sound. Which connection adaptor did you buy?

Quick Reply: just speakers