S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

just speakers

Old 08-05-2001, 06:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default just speakers

Ok I have read so much information on speakers on this board that I don't know what to make of it. So I figure I would ask a specific question for my situation. Please help me out.

I am looking to replace the speakers in my S2000. I am not much into sound but the stock setup just plain sucks. The main thing I am looking for is clarity which dissappears at about 40mph or so. I don't want to put in rear speakers, subwoofer, or amp; just new speakers in the door panels.

I will get the speakers professionaly installed since I don't know anything about audio. I want a set of speakers that will not require any cutting or alteration of the car.

What is the best set of speakers you would recommend under $200? Most speakers I saw on crutchfield run about $100, but since this will be my only audio mod, I want clarity.

Thank you very much for the help. I don't know what I would do without this board.
Old 08-05-2001, 06:32 PM

I did a search on crutchfield to see a list of speakers that would fit the S2000 and came up with only 2.

JBL Decade DS65 - $60
Kenwood KFC-1668S - $50

I saw that a lot of people were using Sony 1621's without any changes to the car.

Also, would investing in an amp along with the speakers help a lot?
Old 08-05-2001, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have three comments:

1) if you are willing to cut the speaker basket, you can fit lots speakers are are as deeps as 2 9/16. Those baskets are easily replaceable if you should change your mind in the future.
2) The factory head unit has very little power, make sure your replacement speakers are efficient.
3) Another problem of the factory sound system is speaker placement. Most drivers would find that their knee/thigh are blocking the left speakers. If this is a problem for you, you may want to consider component speakers which enable you to mount the tweeter in an un obstructed area..
Old 08-05-2001, 10:12 PM
S2R

I would try the Sonys that just drop in with no cutting. A lot of guys said it was a big improvement. Honda has an upgraded set as well that's made by Pioneer. The install on either set of speakers are so easy that it takes like 10 minutes each door. Go to MacGyver's website for step by step pictoral instructions. If the sound after that isn't good enough then get an amp.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:41 AM

I would recommend the sony 1631s IF you are willing to cut just a small bit(so damn easy and worth it). If not, get the 1621s. They are SO EASY TO INSTALL. I swear I will laugh if you get them pro installed. It takes 20min, only need a phillips screwdriver.
Old 08-06-2001, 10:06 PM

well i was concentrating on the sonys but i went to circuit city today and the sales guy said he carried them but did not recommend them because something about them having fabric instead of rubber

he tried to get me to buy a pair of Polks but i told him i would be back later

i know the Sonys have to be better than the stock speakers but are they inferior to other brands?

as far as drop in speakers go, do i not have any other options?

i went to best buy and the guy recommended Cerwin Vega speakers to me; they had both 2 way and 3 way for $110 and $130 respectively; i have heard good things about Vega speakers; should i try those?
Old 08-06-2001, 10:26 PM

Dude, Install the speakers your self... its real easy.

As far as which ones to get.. Here is what you should do (and what I should have done). Order all the ones that fit in your car from Crutchfield... thats right order them all... Try them all out IN YOUR CAR.... Then return the ones you don't like. They pay for the return shipping (At least they used to, you might want to check on that).

Besides the ones eveyone else has mentioned the kenwoods KFC-XR600 s fit... I think they are "o.k" speakers but no where near audiophile quality. I heard the sony's I think they were pretty good, but I didn't get a a chance to do a side by side comaprison with my Kenwoods.

BTW, I've thrown out the kenwoods for some high power speakers... They are supposed to be in tomorrow... I will probably be posting a review this or next weekend.

-- Robert
Old 08-06-2001, 10:31 PM

After reading this thread

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=18629

looks as though the guy at Circuit City was trying to help me out after all and not just trying to unload some merchandise.

I have decided on the Polk EX602a.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:30 AM

I just purchased a set of 602As (fronts) and 402As for the rear yesterday. Unfortunatley, I won't be able to install them today either. Damn it!

David
Old 08-07-2001, 10:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Via PM and E-mail, lucid's making me up some 402As installed in his rear panel cutouts with a harness for $182.00. Per lucid's recommendation, I plan on purchasing 602As locally for the front stock locations. When I get this all together, I'll cover up the wiring to the rear speakers with Rick's leather console cover. The wait is already killing me, and I just ordered yesterday.

I'll post results in a coupla weeks.

Quick Reply: just speakers