S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

just got amp installed, now buzzing sound

Old 06-01-2001, 07:58 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by virtualtom
[B]I would like to clarify that this noise only happens when the car is on.
Old 06-01-2001, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This guy is a complete moron for ever tapping into the fuse of the SRS...this isn't just bad practice, this is downright dangerous (for the reason shaner pointed out). Do not, I repeat, do NOT have any further work done by this person, unless it is to remove the amp and refund your money. He obviously tapped into the fuse box at that point because it was easier for him...a true professional would do something because it was CORRECT, not easier. You may get charged a little extra, but at least it will be set up correctly (and safely).

Ground loops happen when there are multiple ground points, each at slightly different potentials. This is a POTENTIAL cause (I actually meant no pun with this one...noticed it on a re-read ), but not necessarily THE cause. The solution for ground loops, as Pinky correctly pointed out, is to have a common ground for all pieces of equipment (or as close as possible).

If the hum changes in pitch with varied RPMs, you have a piece (or pieces) of equipment that is poorly/improperly grounded. If the hum does NOT change with RPMs, it is most likely due to a ground loop situation.
Old 06-01-2001, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm scared now. If the wire is only the amp turn on wire, is it still ok to be connected to the SRS fuse?

Pinky says to connect it to the auto antenna wire. Can I connect it to another fuse; if not, where can I find the auto antenna wire?

I just checked, the buzzing sound does not change when I rev the engine. Will relocating the wire off of the SRS fuse make a difference?

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2001, 12:38 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by virtualtom
[B]Ok, I'm scared now.
Old 06-01-2001, 12:43 PM

Yeah, they just pulled the fuse, wrapped the wire around it, and put it back in.

Where should the amp be grounded? Where do I get to the auto antenna wire?

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2001, 02:17 PM

Now I have heard everything...

...they pulled out the SRS fuse wrapped the wire around the fuse, and reinserted it.

LOL... no, ROFLOL.
The first time I have used either acronym.
Old 06-01-2001, 03:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by virtualtom
Yeah, they just pulled the fuse, wrapped the wire around it, and put it back in.
VT,

I swear to you, I cannot say this with enough seriousness through email...if I EVER caught an installer doing that, not only would I DEMAND my money back IMMEDIATELY (like, I'm starting the car now, you BEST have my money in hand to return to me), I would exclaim to all customers currently in the store what kind of shitty job that store does.

This type of installation is unacceptable under any circumstance. Fuses are there for a reason, and no circumstance should EVER require tapping into a pre-existing fuse. This guy was looking to make a quick buck off of you, and it's idiots like him that give quality installers a bad name (I've known a few of the latter AND the former). If the instalation required a low-current power point, he should either have used a pre-existing (and EMPTY) fuse socket with a newly installed fuse, or run a new wire alltogether. The fact that he was careless and tapped into the SRS fuse of all things shows a level of incompetence unmatched by most these days.

Pinky said it best...your installer is the major problem here. If he is putting together wiring by wrapping it around a fuse instead of using proper connectors and terminators, he most likely threw together a quick ground (i.e., whatever was closest to the amp), and you have a ground loop problem.

Demand that this guy fix the problem, and since it was his incompetence and shoddy work that created this in the first place, he is required by law to either resolve the buzzing problem (WITHOUT extra charge to you...VERY key point here...you should pay NOTHING extra for him to fix his mistakes), or refund your money in full. If the installed equipment was his, of course, he keeps everything.

Get it fixed now, don't wait several weeks, or else your case starts to lose credibility.
Old 06-01-2001, 03:24 PM

I think you would have made out better if you paid the guy $20 and let him kick you in the nuts. How could so called pro do something so stupid. Demand your money back, tell them you're taking it to the dealer to check for any problems and they will be sent the bill otherwise they can be legally liable. Imagine if you got in an accident and your bags didnt blow you could die! In the manual, on the visor all over the damn car it gives warnings for the SRS.

its probably an easy fix, but let em sweat
Old 06-01-2001, 03:43 PM

This is THE funniest thing I have ever read:

"I think you would have made out better if you paid the guy $20 and let him kick you in the nuts"

My cats are staring at me wondering: 'why is this guy laughing so hard for so long that tears are coming from his eyes'?
Old 06-01-2001, 06:28 PM

Ground loops are bad for audio. Just make sure to ground each audio amp and anything that contains a dsp or codec (Receiver) seperately. All aftermarket recievers should have a amp relay wire to turn on the amp. Hooking into anything except the ACC terminial on the fusebox is a sign of an inproperly trained installer. Each fuse is rated at a certain amperage for a reason. Connecting anything to it that uses electricity gets you closer to blowing that fuse.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: just got amp installed, now buzzing sound