S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

just got amp installed, now buzzing sound

Old 06-01-2001, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The amp is connected to the number 10 fuse (SRS). There is a slight buzzing/tapping sound that comes through the speakers at all times, even when the radio/CD is off. The installer says that the best he can do is to install a toggle switch to turn the amp off. Of course, because the sound is always there, that won't help much.

Now my SRS light is always on now that he messed with the fuse; any ideas how to turn it off. The installer told me that honda can do it for free, and it's a simple procedure.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2001, 05:23 AM

You need to wire any amp directly to the battery. Make sure you use the shortest and fatest ground wire you can. You are drawing too much current with your amp. Also make sure and put an inline fuse right next to the battery so your car does not burn up in case anythign shorts out. I'd suggest an amp installation kit.
Old 06-01-2001, 06:31 AM

I would also find yourself a new Audio shop.. They should know that you DO NOT wire your amp into the fuse box.. It is to be connected to the battery...
Old 06-01-2001, 06:43 AM

The wire that they installed into the fuse block is small. I think that the amp is indeed wired to the battery, so is there any other reason that a wire should be connected to the fuse block?

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2001, 06:52 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds like a ground loop.

Yes get to a new shop......I would say fix it without a switch or take everything out and give me my money back!
Old 06-01-2001, 06:57 AM

Also, I must add (not that I am in any way a pro) that the installer must be a moron to tap off of the SRS power source/fuse. It will not set off the airbags but removing the power/replacing fuse will always give the SRS light (a simple reset with a $7.95 Honda 'resistor' does the trick).

If you ever blow the fuse due to the amp... there goes your airbags as well... not too reassuring for safety reasons.

I really cannot believe a 'professionsl' installer did that.

Seriously.
Old 06-01-2001, 06:58 AM

Ground Loop?!

There's so much I don't know

What is a ground Loop? I assume that a ground runs from the amp right to the metal. Why does it have to go back to the fuse block? Just how in the heck is this thing hooked up??

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:18 AM

I called the shop to find out what's going on. He said that the amp is connected directly to the battery with 8 guage wire. The little yellow wire that goes to the number 10 fuse is for the auto turn on. Ususally, that goes to the power antenna on the back of the radio, he said.

I still feel uneasy about this wire hanging around by the SRS fuse--which fuse do you recommend me attaching the auto turn on to?

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:35 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by virtualtom
[B]Ground Loop?!

There's so much I don't know

What is a ground Loop?
Old 06-01-2001, 07:49 AM

I would like to clarify that this noise only happens when the car is on. If it's off, the CD/radio behaves normally.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: just got amp installed, now buzzing sound