S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Just another noob looking for audio advice

Old 06-18-2003, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone

I recently acquired an 03 S2000 and am more than pleased with it in every aspect except the audio. I've already ordered an Alpine CDA 9813 and am now looking for speakers/amp. I'd like to spend no more than an additional $1000 but am flexible if need be. To be frank, the stock speakers don't seem too bad to me, until I go over 70mph. There's also a noticeable lack of bass that I hope to address. The music I listen to is mostly dance/pop for what it's worth. I'm not looking to impose my music onto neighboring cars, but I would like to feel some kick within the cabin.

My tentative plan is to get a Wlaurent sub box, some component speakers for the door, and a multichannel amp (like a JL audio 300/4) to drive everything. Is that a reasonable plan? As for particular brands, I've done numerous searches on various boards as well as visited the local Cartoys and Tweeter to listen to some, but I'm still unable to decide. The Focal 165 K2's sounded fantastic at the store, but they're on the expensive side.

I'd really appreciate any comments or suggestions that you guys might have. Thanks for your time.

Bo
Old 06-18-2003, 06:56 PM

All the components you mentioned (JL 33/5, wlaurent enclosure, Focals) all sound to me like the pieces of a very nice system indeed. I'm not sure, however, that you'll be able to stick to the $1,000 budget though. How much over that are you willing to go? You mentioned you were somewhat flexible in that area. I am assuming the $1,000 does not include the HU you already purchased...
Old 06-18-2003, 06:57 PM

No, $1000 doesn't include the HU. But I'm willing to spend more than that if necessary. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I do enjoy listening to music in the car under any conditions.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:59 PM

If you're interested in JL Audio I would recommend the VR650-CSi 6 1/2", Stealth Box 10W3, 300/4-75w x 2 150w x 1. This would give you a nice system at about a $1000 but if you wanted to spend a little more I would go with the XR650CSi 6 1/2", Stealth Box 10W3, 450/4-75w x 2 300w x 1. This would be about $300 more give or take but you will be running a better set of mids and more power to the sub. The Jl's have a nice sound quality to them that I like and I wouldn't mind runnig an all JL system.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:01 PM

Is there a huge difference between the VR650-CSi and XR650CSi? Time to stop by the local Tweeter to listen to them. I wasn't aware that there was a 450/4 amp available.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:55 PM

The difference between the two is the VR650-CSi comes with a 3/4" soft dome tweeter, stanard 6 1/2" and crossover network. The XR650-CSi comes with a 1" aluminum dome tweeter, long throw woofer (better mid bass and midrange response), woofer and tweeter setting (so you can adjust how much mid bass the woofer sees and how bright the tweeter will be) and an over-all better crossover network. For the extra money the XR's are a nice set.

The 450/4 came out 2 or 3 months ago, pretty new to the market.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:28 PM

You can save some money and a lot of grief by using the head unit to power the door speakers. The most efficient speakers on the market are Kenwood Excelons, and the oversize (supposed 7 inch) components should be great. I don't know what your pain threshold is, but this combo exceeds mine. Most other high quality speakers, Focal included, need a lot of power and they are heavier, and will require an amp. Put in rear speakers for fill (I used Excelons in 4") driven off the head unit and adjust the bass shift forward. Also use the time delay to spread the sound field out. The rear sub can then be adjusted independently as needed. This is a great head unit, and can drive most door speakers hard, it's just that the Kenwood Dual Mags don't need as much power, so it's good all around, and saves money.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. I've had a couple of quotes from a local audio shop as well as Tweeter for JL Audio components, 500/5 amp, stealthbox for almost 2 grand. Both salesmen were pushing the idea that this is a convertible and that I'll need some power to hear anything with all that road noise. I'm still researching however. heh.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:59 AM

For JL I would suggest looking on-line for their products. Tweeter is the same company as Sound Advice done here. They don't sell below msrp on any equipment and the salesmen will act like they're giving you a deal on the stuff. Don't listen to salesmen just get ideas and when it comes to buying the equipment ask to talk directly to the installer about what's going in your car, they will be better source of information for what you really need other than a saleman who gets paid on commission. An example would be the 450/4 to the 500/5, there's a $100 difference between the two. Between the 450/4 and 500/5 I personally would go with the 450/4. The 450/4 will give you 50w more for the sub which needs the power to get it's sound into the cabin and the sacrifice you'll take on the mids of 25w will not be to noticable because their mids are pretty efficent and are going to be getting a clean source of power. Now if you where interested in doing the rear panel speakers that some people have done I would suggest the 500/5 so you could have that option. Me, I don't like speakers behind me. My cars are usually setup for competition and putting speakers as rear fill is just a bandage for bad imaging.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:57 AM

I Purchased the JL 450/4, the XR650 CSi and the Stealthbox with 10W3V2. Before purchasing, I exchanged emails with JL Audio Techs a number of times. They steered me toward the 450/4 as a better match all around for the S2000 an their components. In addition, the Alpine HU will have more than sufficient power to drive rears (for fill) if you have them

Quick Reply: Just another noob looking for audio advice