S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

iPOD or Satelite Radio?

Old 06-23-2006, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPOD or Satelite Radio?

Sup guys what would you choose? iPod adapter for the radio or get XM? both compatibles with my HU but only can do one of them what do you think its more worth the money? quality? thanks in advance
Old 06-23-2006, 01:09 PM

you can only do one or the other?

i am looking at the new alpine units with ipod connectivity and xm.. i hope they can do both.. that would be terrible if i had to choose.. i'm planning everything around having BOTH these great features..
Old 06-23-2006, 01:39 PM

I freakin' dig my iPod Video! However, there is a drop in the dynamic range due to the compression of MP3. If you are an audio purist, you may want to go with satellite. But if you don't mind a slight drop in dynamic range, then the iPod is the way to go. What's most cool about the iPod is that it could literally replace most, if not all your CD collection and you could roll with your music library.
I thought I saw an advertisement on the tube the other day for a new auto AV receiver that accepts iPod AND satellite?

My vote...iPod just for the fun and sheer mass storage.
However, the XM would be a cleaner install and probably has better fidelity.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:54 PM

My vote is for the Ipod adapter. Having had both, I definately prefer being able to listen to songs that I know I'm going to like.

I never really cared for any of the channels on XM, but if you really like satelite radio that much, maybe you should get it.

Ipod = no monthly charge, large initial investment, your choice of songs, can be used outside of the car (running, traveling, etc.)
XM = monthly charge, similar initial investment, only used in the car
(I'm sure there are more pros/cons but time is limited)

Again, it's up to you but I'd go with the Ipod.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:19 PM

Great point. The iPod is very portable.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:08 PM

SPLNDID, if you think that satellite radio (XM or sirius) has better fidelity than an ipod, then you REALLY need to listen to satellite radio some time. I have had satellite radio for over a year and a half and while I love the programming and listen to it most of the time I'm in the car, the fidelity is nowhere near a 128 kbps mp3. They're cramming too many channels into their limited bandwidth and the quality is suffering. It's not bad enough for me not to listen to it, but switching back from satellite to my ipod is like night and day.

As for the original question, I would choose satellite, just because I like just getting in the car and having a lot of variety that I don't have to mess with. I have my 30 GB ipod more than 90% full so I have a lot of music, but I still listen to satellite most of the time. I have both hooked up to my new alpine receiver so you may not have to choose one or the other.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=SPLNDID,Jun 23 2006, 01:39 PM] I freakin' dig my iPod Video!
Old 06-23-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Will,Jun 23 2006, 06:17 PM
I disagree with the fidelity... XM is nothing but a compressed digital audio stream, similar to realplayer on the internet; or, if you think about it, mp3. I have XM in one vehicle, and Ipod in the other... the Ipod sounds MUCH more clear. There is a very noticeable difference.

They claim "CD quality sound", but I disagree. It's true that there's absolutely no static, but to my ears... (and you have to take this with a grain of salt) while your mp3s may be (on average) 128 or 164 kbps, satellite radio is 96kbps or lower, depending on what you're listening to. Only my opinion!

DOH! Maybe I should have read Wickerbill's reply first...
Great! Good to know! I haven't given the XM a serious listen. What I have done is compare side-by-side my CD/DVD player input with the same song playing on the iPod input to my A/V receiver. Of course there was some compression, but overall the sound from the iPod is only slightly diminished in dynamic range but seems perfect for shuffling songs during a party and for headphone listening at work.
I was holdout on the MP3 scene. I enjoy listening to music and consider myself a bit of an audiophile. What was surprising to me was how much I enjoy the iPod and its portability.
I will definitely get a setup for my S and the iPod - beit through the FM transmitter, or a new head end like the Pioneer.

I'll stand by my vote for the iPod addition to the S. Great fun because your iPod can go with you everywhere.

BTW, your opinion counts!
Old 06-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The correct answer is....it depends....

For me, Ipod. I have over 40,000 songs, a full IPOD, and an 80gb drive on the way. I havent used my cd player, radio, XM, or my 6 cd changer in over 4 months. I have ALL my music, including what they play on XM on my IPOD. If you do not have a lot of music, satellite is still good. If you have tons, IPOD it.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:02 PM

... btw, there are lots of threads out there on iPod adaptors for the OEM radio. I bought the FM transmitter thingy so I could switch vehicles 'n shit. Later, I think it would be supurb to have the iPod adapter made for the aux/CD changer port for the OEM receiver so that I could use the dash controls and display songs on the receiver face. But that's another 200 bones.