S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

installation of Alpine 9851 question...

Old 06-09-2005, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installation of Alpine 9851 question...

Hey-

I am about to install an Alpine 9851 in my S2000 within the next 3-4 weeks. I have already purchased the unit. Are there any kits that I need for the install? Wiring harnesses? I don't think the factory Honda wiring harness will just plug into the Alpine.

Thanks

John
Old 06-09-2005, 12:16 PM
PdC

You will need this if you want your dash controls to work.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:15 PM

I already have the Modifry unit. I was wondering more in the way of a wiring harness to plug into the back of the unit. Am I going to have to individually cut / solder the wires into the alpine harness, or is there an adapter that will adapt the Honda harness to the Alpine harness?

thanks

John
Old 06-09-2005, 03:48 PM

Did you buy the $10 harness upgrade from Modrify -- that's what I did. Basically, there's an alpine harness that connects to the back of the HU, ending in bare wires. These bare wires connect to the adapter harness (I got mine from Modrify, but I'm sure you can get one at a car audio shop or something, it's standard Honda stuff). Anyways, the DCI one has a few extra wires that make the install easier.

So..where was I. Oh yeah, once the alpine harness is soldered to the adapter harness, you then plug in the adapter harness to the Honda harness that originally went to the factory HU.

Also, you should know that Alpine recommends that the 12V "always on" power lead should wire directly to the battery, not through the Honda harness. This is a bit of a PITA, but I did snake a fat wire through a grommet behind the battery, down into the HU. Use lots of KY jelly to snake the wire through the grommet. I'm sure you have some lying around....
Old 06-09-2005, 04:12 PM

Alright...so I need to get the Alpine-Honda adapter? I got the optional Modifry harness. Can I buy this adapter from Best Buy? Any major chains? Sound Advice, our last REAL stereo store closed.

As far as the "always on" power, wouldn't that be bad, because if you forgot to turn the actual unit off, it would run all night and kill the battery. I want to tap into a power wire that only feeds hot when the motor is running, that way I can avoid forgetting to turn it off.

Are there any DIY threads on this? My buddy is going to help me, and he really knows what he is doing, so I just need to make sure I have all the right parts. Currently, the ONLY parts I have purchased have been 1) Alpine 9851 2) Modifry DCI w/optional harness 3) XM satellite kit. What part am I looking for in order to get the Alpine to hook up to the Honda wiring?

And as far as the KY goes.....my girl has no need for that crap!

John
Old 06-09-2005, 04:35 PM

if the headunit and XM kit the only parts you are installing, you should be fine.

KY is good for those of us with oversized cables.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:56 PM

oh yeah a soldering kit, and some shrink tubes.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright...so I need to get the Alpine-Honda adapter? I got the optional Modifry harness. Can I buy this adapter from Best Buy? Any major chains? Sound Advice, our last REAL stereo store closed.
the optional adapter IS the Alpine Honda adapter.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:53 AM

thanks for making that clear.

i thought i did, but i guess i didn't.
jwa, you've already got what you need to do the deed.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:09 AM

thanks a lot guys...

Quick Reply: installation of Alpine 9851 question...