S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

I'm lost when it comes to audio

Old 12-15-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm lost when it comes to audio

Where would be a good website or store to shop for audio components. I am just looking for the HU and some speakers at the moment,

I know this is kinda lame to be askin but I don't feel like goin back to best buy and getting screwed with.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out www.woofersetc.com or www.sonicelectronix.com . Crutchfield is also a very reliable site (but tends to be more expensive as well).

If you want to delve into amplifiers and such, www.knukonceptz.com is a great place to pick up your wiring from.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:34 PM

how did best buy screw you over?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:39 PM

^^tried talking him into buying a "radio enhancer"

And...they're overpriced. And really, don't know all that much about stereo install, much less quality. They work on commission. Anyone that works on commission should be treated dubiously until proven correct.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:49 PM

wait wait you wanted me to buy a radio enhancer NS? i thought you said that was a no no!
Old 12-15-2008, 02:17 PM

No, I was responding to your question...

"Best Buy tried talking..."

I'd never work for Best Buy's install...I mean, I could work there...but they'd fire me after I sent a customer somewhere else instead of selling them crap that didn't fit what they were really looking for
Old 12-16-2008, 12:16 PM

yea, NS has the general idea of my previous experiences with Best Buy, so if I were looking to spend around 500 or 600 on head unit and two speakers would that be unreasonably low or would I be able to find something worthwhile at either of those sites?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:22 PM

Well, that depends.

Do you plan on upgrading later? Lets work through a possible upgrade/install path. Get you a plan in place so you can figure out what's going to work for you the first time around.

Are you into Sound Quality? Or is that minor compared to the ability to just hear? How important is a major upgrade right now, vs a minor one now and another minor one in a month or two when you have a bit more saved up?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:41 PM

What I'd had been playing around with in my mind was to have a car computer set up. My girl is real good with numbers and learning things like cars and programs. So I'd hoped to one day have a laptop running or a touchscreen cut into the dash to run on the go diagnostics as I plan on keeping this car and making it a sleeper beast later in its life and getting another DD sooner than later. but obviously that is a long while down the road.

so for now I'd much rather have some good speakers, a good HU, with IPod capability, or USB to HDD capability. I'd prefer to have clean, sound, better fidelity than just loud. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that with the upgraded speakers, even if aimed in the directions of sounds quality rather than bam I'm deaf, I'm still going to be able to turn it up a little more than my stock system and not ruin them. I guess I'm assuming you get what you pay for.

it would be nice to eventually have great interior sounds with some nice bass capability and expandability in the sense of xm, or eventually wireless Internet from the car so the girl can do her thing while we roadtrip.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:09 PM

Have a budget in mind? How much of a hurry are you in to complete the goal(s) of your sound system?

I know you said 500-600 for HU and speakers...is that what you have right now? Would you be willing to wait another month or two to put in speakers? If you were to wait a month or two, how much do you think you could have total?

We can take this to PM if you'd rather. No need to be spilling your financial secrets all over teh internetz

Quick Reply: I'm lost when it comes to audio