S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Huge volume difference betw CD and radio

Old 09-28-2005, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge volume difference betw CD and radio

I have the stock deck with a soundstream 40W 2 channel amp to component Infinity Kappas, 60.5cs in a 2002. When I play a CD, it's much louder than if I run the radio. That is, of couse, without changing the volume when switching between the two back to back. Why is that? Is there something I can do to fix this? I ask because I cannot hear the radio with the top down on the freeway even when it's turned all the way up. I've also noticed that now I have to turn the volume much higher to hear anything, CD or radio. Before, I could get it up to about 1/4 and I could hear everything just fine. But now, I have to max out, almost, to hear CDs on the freeway. I have 2 switches on the amp. Full Range and Low pass and Stereo and Bridge, I have it set to Full Range and Stereo. I set the Input level all the way down because it starts to distort a lot when I turn it up. For those interested, this is the amp I have, the USA 100 http://www.soundstream.com/sub/owner_manual/usa2ch.pdf
I reran all the speaker wires with a thicker wire. I'm using a Line Level Converter to hook up the amp. I know I should get a new deck, but until then, what can I do to tune my system and make it better? Thanks.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:44 AM

I wrote about tunning a system with OEM HU + LOC ( Line Output Converter) + external amp a little while ago. I will search for it and let you know.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:17 PM

To tune your system:

1. Set your amp gain(s) at minimum, select HPF and 50Hz.

2. Set you LOC gain(s) at minimum.

3. Set you stock HU volume at about 3/4 of maximum, i.e., if your volume maxed out at 40, then set your volume at 30.

4. Slowly increase your amp gain(s) until you start to hear distortions or the music is too loud, mark that position, then decrease your amp gain(s) to half way between that position and the minimum (minimum is zero and the marking is 100, then you should adjust your amp gain(s) back to 50).

5. Slowly increase your LOC gain(s) until you start to hear some distortions or the music is too loud, mark that position, then decrease your LOC gain(s) by 1/3 (minimum is zero and the marking is 100, then you should adjust your LOC gain(s) back to 67). At this level, your LOC output signals are very clean.

6. Adjust your HU volume down to 25 (assume that it was set at 30 in step 3 above).

7. Slowly increase your amp gain(s) until you start to hear distortions OR the music from your speakers is very very loud, decrease your amp gain(s) about 1/2 of the position in step 4 above and this new position.

8. Select FLAT on your amp.

With these steps, your normal listening volume should be at 25 or lower, your maximum level should not be above 30.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:02 PM

Dood, thanks, I'll try this when I get home. I also have crossovers for the speakers that I forgot to mention. On the crossovers, there is a selection for "contour" or "flat" (I think it's flat), which should I select there? I have contour right now.

This is the LOC I am using, it has no gains setting, or any settings for that matter. I must admit though, instead of installing it properly, I just shoved the wires into the back of the honda molex so I wouldn't have to cut anything.

Also, what's HPF and 50Htz on the amp?
Old 09-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Banned

The s/n ratio on cd's is alot higher than the signal received from that of radio stations, minus HD signals.

The same goes for aftermarket head units. Those with high s/n ratios (signal to noise) will play cleaner and louder.

The way the music is recorded is the key determining factor of how loud or clean it will play.

Same reason mp3's dont have the same quality of a factory pressed cd. Even if you compressed the file with a high bitrate, and careful attention was paid to the listening...differences can be noted.

And if you replaced your factory head with a better one, you'd notice it plays much louder at a lower volume because the quality is better and you dont have to compensate the factories lack of signal strength (w/loc) with volume and high gain settings on the amp.

The better the preamp signal to the amplifier, the lower you can keep the gains.

Better meaning output voltage and cleanliness of the signal, and lower gain setting to keep any unwanted noise/hiss from entering the system.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:18 PM

Since you LOC does not have gain setting, you can ignore all steps involving the LOC.
Your Soundstream amp should have selectable crossover: HPF (High Pass Filter) and LPF (Low Pass Filter) or Flat. You should select HPF and set the crossover point to 50Hz on the amp. Below is the steps you should do for your current setup:

1. Set your amp gain(s) at minimum, select HPF and 50Hz.

2. Set you stock HU volume at about 3/4 of maximum, i.e., if your volume maxed out at 40, then set your volume at 30.

3. Slowly increase your amp gain(s) until you start to hear distortions or the music is too loud, decrease your amp gain a hair.

With these steps, your normal listening volume should be at 25 or lower, your maximum level should not be above 30.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally quoted by Ishift@9.1
The s/n ratio on cd's is alot higher than the signal received from that of radio stations, minus HD signals.
Correct.
[QUOTE]The same goes for aftermarket head units.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:39 AM

I've got it "louder" now, so I don't have to turn the volume so high to hear anything. Thanks for all the advice!

I had to turn the bass down to -4 and the treble to +6 though to make it sound decent. If I left everthing at 0, it sounds really muffled, like if your ear were stuffed. The lows completely drown out the highs. But it does sound a little better. I was wondering if this was normal. I remember I usually have to turn up the bass!
Old 09-30-2005, 10:52 AM

You may need to get another LOC, PAC is a good quality LOC and not expensive either. It also has gain control for left and right channels separately. You can get a 2-channel PAC LOC for around $20 or a little less.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by MacGyver,Sep 29 2005, 04:50 PM
... give me a high quality FM station without ambient noise, though, and it would appear just as loud as the CD (well, within reason).
I swapped the OEM antenna with 350Z, now my FM radio is much louder than CD. If I switched from CD to FM (any station), I had to turn down the volume level quickly to avoid blowing up speakers.

Quick Reply: Huge volume difference betw CD and radio