S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

HU with in-dash control, Eclipse or ?

Old 04-29-2010 | 01:22 PM

Default HU with in-dash control, Eclipse or ?

Hi,

I've been trying to choose new HU for some time. A few specifications that are important to me include reliability, sound quality (esp. bass), i-pod interface, option for red LED, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY THE ABILITY TO DIRECTLY HARD WIRE TO IN-DASH CONTROLS.

I'm deciding on the Eclipse CD5030 but nervous about the company withdrawing from No America distributions.

Can anyone recommend another HU with the option to make hard-wire connection with the dash controls? I understant Modifry is an option but would rather not deal with the extra cost or special optic wiring.

I'm a newbie and appreciate any input. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2010 | 05:10 AM

I'd highly recommend not underestimating the value of having a community of Modifry DCI users that can help you if you run into problems. The "extra cost" of the Modifry DCI is negligible IMO considering that it just works and works well with the S. If dash controls are a priority for you, I strongly recommend finding a head unit compatible with Modifry's DCI. Most head units out there are going to need a DCI anyway and you're just severely limiting your options by looking for HU's with a built-in DCI.
Old 04-30-2010 | 07:56 AM

If you want the least amount of hassle, go with an Alpine unit... with a Modifry DCI (just get the harness form Modifry, no splicing necessary) this recommendation is based strictly off least amount of work necessary to get everything working.

Otherwise you're going to have to get an aftermarket DCI which you'll have to program and deal with the other hassles associated with it. Most aftermarket DCI's I see go for 60-99 bucks on Amazon and Crutchfield.

As far as HU's go, Eclipse is pretty solid, they're very picky with their vendors for warranty work and I think it also keeps their price up. If you don't like the price, Pioneer has some great units with built in iPod interface (USB port) and don't cost as much as Eclipse units.
Old 05-01-2010 | 10:21 PM

Kenwood's KDC-x993 is what I ended up with. Not bad at all. I can switch over to where the iPhone controls the music (instead of the HU controlling what song you play) and can stream using the web browser.
I am pretty sure I got Pandora on my iPhone to work too. I normally do not use Pandora, so I could be mistaken. Definitely could stream via Safari though.
It has Bluetooth too, though thats a wash if you want to use it with the top down. Its usable with the top up and <60mph.

I can control the colors (knobs and display) pretty well. I finally got a color almost exactly the red color on the dash. Yellow was actually easier to mimic with the display, but does not look very good.

Cons: PITA to figure out what does what on it. Can be hard to see in direct sunlight (any glossy display will have this problem to one degree or another)

It does fit behind the door, and I can open and close the door without it pushing any buttons.

If you like Kenwood, you might give it a try.