S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

How to take off dash

Old 08-06-2004, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to take off dash

I need to know how to remove the a/c fan switch so I can replace it with a new one. The paint is chipping off the side and the orange light shines through at night. The piece was only $8 so I bought it and figured I would do it myself. If anyone knows how to remove this switch, I would love to hear how. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:11 PM

Hope this is enough...

Jean
Old 08-08-2004, 08:29 AM

thanks for the pic Does anyone know how the fan swith is connected?
Old 08-08-2004, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by b00stn,Aug 6 2004, 02:09 PM
I need to know how to remove the a/c fan switch so I can replace it with a new one. The paint is chipping off the side and the orange light shines through at night. The piece was only $8 so I bought it and figured I would do it myself. If anyone knows how to remove this switch, I would love to hear how. Thanks in advance.
Actually, it is a bit more involved than that picture - you have to drop the steering wheel, etc.

DJ Qube's instructions on popping the dash spell it out pretty clearly:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/djqube21/lst...Control&.view=l

Note - I had problems popping the upper and lower steering wheel covers back together.

-JD
Old 08-09-2004, 02:08 AM
Banned

The switch button is not wired to anything. All you have to do is remove the gauge cluster then remove the face plate. pop the old switch out and put the new one in. Be carefull not to break the tabs that hold the cover in place. When you drop the steering wheel loosen the nuts that hold the column in place until the last couple threads this will give you enough clearance to get the cluster out. Kinda vague but you'll see what I'm talking about when you do it.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I will try to take pics when I do it and maybe a step by step to help out in the future. My piece should be here on tues.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually, from what i remember, you should be able to pull the fan switch right out... its just to c shaped 'sockets' that hold it in at the pivot point. I remember i popped it out once when i had my dash apart... i'd try to pull it straight out with a pair of plyers.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:18 PM

well shit, i broke a clip. Its on the two pieces that go around the wheel (where the ignition is). It is on the top piece. Any suggestions on how to fix this aside from buying another piece?
Old 08-11-2004, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, i did the same thing my first time. my top half just sits there. its wedged in so it can fall out. all u see is as small split where the upper and lower covers meet.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:47 PM

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...T+PANEL+GARNISH

I found a place. Its only $8.17 so i guess ill order a new one. I got the new switch put in place. Thanks for all the help. The hardest damn part was this car is so damn small on the inside. Anyways, maybe this will help in the future. For anyone trying to remove the cluster or part #1 in the diagram:

1.) remove 3 screws from piece #16 in above diagram. Being very careful as the clips that hold piece #16 to piece #15 are weak and break very easily, push both sides of #16 in near the joint where they meet. #16 should now be loose.

2.) Before trying to remove #15, you will have to loosen the two nuts holding the steering column up. As mentioned, you can do it without completely removing the nuts, but I just took them all the way off as it gives you a little more room to work with. With these nuts loose, you can remove #15.

3.) Now you will need a small flat tool to remove the screw plugs located near the guages above the tach (I used a razorblade). Be careful because this plastic seems pretty soft. Pop these out and remove the two screws underneath the plugs. (#25,5,6) These are easier to see in the diagram posted by JDMpress.

4.) Now starting near the cruise control button, begin to pull outward to pop the clips loose. I worked all the way around the cluster doing this very carefully to avoid breaking any clips. All the clips should be loose now and the cluster should be only held by the wire harnesses.

5.) You need to unplug all the wire harnesses while making note of which plug goes where.

6.) While pressing down on the steering wheel, manipulate the cluster bezel outwards and upwards. It is a tight fit but it will come out. Trying moving it all the way to the right and then freeing that side and then the left rather then both sides at the same time. The windshield control and headlight control wands get in the way. It will make since when you look at it. The cluster should be completely free now.

7.) Complete these steps in reverse to reinstall but soon as you rehook the harnesses, check to make sure all the controls are lit and work properly.

Getting to the fan switch just requires removing a few more screws but it is very self explanatory. Hope this will help out in the future. The only problem I ran into was the cheap clips on #15 and #16 that broke on me. I did not take any pictures while doing this because I was rather frustrated that I broke a piece and there is no damn room to work in the car.

Anyways, thanks again for the help.

Quick Reply: How to take off dash