S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

How the HELL did...

Old 03-27-2003, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How the HELL did...

any of you run speaker wire into the doors??? I can berely get my hands into some of these small places! How did you guys undo the tape at the end of the grommet to get the speaker wire through?
Old 03-27-2003, 05:09 PM

I ran a 4 twisted pair 12 gauge into my doors through the existing tube.
If you look behind (as in take it out) the small piece of foam in the side wall of the door jam you under the dash you'll see a small bundle of wire all taped up. Cut a "very small" hole into the tape on the end of the bundle, be very careful! DO NOT use a pair of cutters!, use a slightly dull razor blade and cut slowly. Once you have a small hole you can push a small piece of 12 gauge stranded electrical wire (THHN) or something similar through the tube into the door. Once you do that just tape the speaker wire onto the "snaking wire" and pull it in.

I'll see if I still have the pic's of when I did this, I might.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:13 PM

Oh btw the way you can cut the 12 snaking wire to a point, that way you'll feel it trying to poke through the tape inside the door. Once you get it that far, with your finger nail just rip/scratch the tape off the tip of the snake wire so you can push it through.

Forgot to mention that part, I wish you lived closer I could do to for you in about minute.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:56 PM

My biggest problem is getting my hands into these small spaces! I have the fish waiting. I just can't get my hand in there and still have ANY room to move my fingers to undo the tape or cut it. I will give it another shot tomorrow.

You can still get into your car and drive up here in time to do it tomorrow .
Old 03-27-2003, 07:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always snake from the car's interior to the door, you'll find that easier. I used a blade screwdriver to poke a hole in the tape in the interior, then used a slightly bent coathanger to poke a hole in the tape in the door. Once that was through, a judicious amount of tape with the wire and fish, some strenuous pushing and it was through. You can't have fat hands to do this job or you'll never reach far enough into the speaker hole to get to the rubber conduit...as it is, I wasn't very comfortable just getting the tips of my fingers close enough to guide the fish through without ripping through the rubber.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:51 AM

I really wish I had time to drive to your house, because I'd like to help you out. Plus it would give me a good reason to stop working and relax for a while, I could even stop and check out the Falls on the way home. Anyway, I'm still looking for the pic's I have of inside the door. I have them on a cd somewhere.
And like Mac said always snake from inside the towards the door.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:38 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is very helpful to disconnect the rubber tube from both the door and the car -- at least it was in my case... just a thought...
Old 03-28-2003, 06:02 AM

I took out the seats so that I could lay on my back with my feet sticking over the convertable top and my head and shoulders under the steering wheel. I had a friend run a coat hanger through the grommet in the door (after taking off the door panels and speakers of course) and having it stick out thru the hole that is behind the kick panels. I then taped the 12 guage wire to the coat hanger and gently pulled it back thru the grommet. Here is a picture of my results. 12 guage speaker wire to the doors!

http://www.squeezer.net/s2ki.com/12guagewi...edriverdoor.jpg
Old 03-28-2003, 06:24 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Ask and you shall receive - text and pictures from my door wiring

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=84505
Old 03-28-2003, 06:39 PM

Hey thanks! I will give this a shot tomorrow. 1 question - how difficult was it to get the grommet back in place?

BTW

" Step 8: ... Notice how sharp the window guides inside the door are.....curse liberally "

This is SO TRUE!

Quick Reply: How the HELL did...