S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

how do you remove radio lid/panel?

Old 03-09-2005, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you remove radio lid/panel?

hi. i'm trying to replace the factory HU and need to remove the radio lid/panel. do all the MYs have the same radio lid/panel design? anyone do this before? any advice/instructions/links? i'm using the DIY link at s2000.org as a guide.

thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Banned

pull on it.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:39 AM

To remove the door and bracket is kinda tricky if its never been removed. Its only 4 clips but if they've never been taken out there going to be very stiff.

Because you have an '05' you get the plastic on the center console out of the way before you can remove the HU. You need to pull up on the center console which is just a bunch of clips I think it 4 on the console too. To make it easier you can take the shift knob off but you don't have to. Either way just get the console pushed way back or off. Once that's done you open the radio door and holding onto the radio door, pull holden on close to the base of the door nearest to the dash, and just pull at a steady rate don't try to just rip it out as you will break it.

Good luck
Old 03-10-2005, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by darkknight1999,Mar 10 2005, 05:39 AM
To remove the door and bracket is kinda tricky if its never been removed. Its only 4 clips but if they've never been taken out there going to be very stiff.

Because you have an '05' you get the plastic on the center console out of the way before you can remove the HU. You need to pull up on the center console which is just a bunch of clips I think it 4 on the console too. To make it easier you can take the shift knob off but you don't have to. Either way just get the console pushed way back or off. Once that's done you open the radio door and holding onto the radio door, pull holden on close to the base of the door nearest to the dash, and just pull at a steady rate don't try to just rip it out as you will break it.

Good luck
trying it now...will remove the center console first! THANKS SO MUCH! i knew the s2000.org diy link was not exactly what i needed to do...back to work.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:49 AM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by puffycloud9,Mar 10 2005, 08:09 AM
...back to work.
How'd you know I was supposed to be working?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:35 AM

THANKS darkknight1999! upon removing the center console, everything went very smoothly. sunny today, new HU installed, iPod connected - it's a good day.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:03 AM

Good job Glad to help!
Old 04-01-2005, 04:49 PM

I just finished swapping out the spring loaded stock '01 radio door panel with a newer style one (aluminum looking instead of black vinyl).

The radio door panel is held in the frame by two rolled pins. Using jeweler's screwdrivers and a small hammer, I was able to tap them outwards enough to where I could grasp them and pull them out with a pair of long nose pliers.

Careful pulling the door out of the frame as there is a small spring that is under tension. Replaced with the new door, making sure the spring was in place but without tension. Tapped the pins back in. Then, again using a small screwdriver, with the door closed, from the back I was able to set the spring into the plastic retaining clip to again set tension.

I like the aluminum look... before it was just too much black on the dash. This brightens things up a bit.

If anyone has any pics, I'd love to see what Rick's yellow/black leather console cover looks like. I think it would really help tie the interior to the car and liven things up.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:17 PM

So you actually removed the door from the bracket??
Old 04-03-2005, 09:33 AM

Ya, I have an '01 model which has the solid black vinyl door.

I had to remove the door from the bracket to swap it out with the new door I bought at HardTopGuy for $25. I like the aluminum finish look.

http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/customer/p...1&cat=26&page=1

Quick Reply: how do you remove radio lid/panel?