S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

How to check SRS light functionality

Old 06-25-2023, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to check SRS light functionality

Hey guys, New member here. Attempted to search but couldn't find a clear answer and wanted to make sure.

Purchased an s2000 from another owner and it's an 07, with aftermarket BRIDE Seats for both driver/passenger so it definitely has the passenger weight sensor. Previous owner claims he never tampered with the SRS or pulled the bulb and that the light just never came on after install. I have no reason to believe he's lying as i've known him for well over a decade. The light is currently off while driving, and DOES NOT flash when the key is turned to "ON" mode.

My question is, should this light be flashing to indicate it's working upon starting the car as a sort of systems check? Otherwise i'm going to have to assume a faulty system or burnt bulb. Any input is apreciated!
Old 06-25-2023, 09:46 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,039 Posts

This video might help.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:39 AM

Thanks! I saw this video but didn't bother to give it a try. It should be a good way to make sure at least my bulb is still there and the system is detecting a fault because of the passenger seat
Old 06-26-2023, 08:54 AM
Jub

Received 417 Likes on 327 Posts

^ I think that is for older cars (pre-06). Idk if that'll work on 06+. I hate to say, but if your buddy truly remediated the compatibility issues with the sensor, he'd know what he did. It's a process. I'd find it hard to believe he knows nothing about it unless he modified his own OEM rails himself to fit the seat. The only way it's not a problem is if you turn the car off, unplug and remove seat, don't turn car on while seat is out, fit OEM rails to aftermarket seat, plug back in and hope that the weight difference between OEM seat and aftermarket isn't enough to matter.

I have an 06 with aftermarket seats but I bought the Ballade rail with weight sensors integrated and bought the Honda software to make it all work. Ballade did change their product from what I had purchased. It is now more affordable but it has changed and I don't know any specifics of it. I'm sure it works for the airbag sensors but I'd defer elsewhere for quality. I believe it is now an in-house rail where it used to be a worked OEM rail. See other threads about Ballade and use your own discretion if you have to make that decision. Here is my thread - https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...ispreloading=1

I can cycle my key later on and see what the light does. You should also have an airbag light by the A/C vents above your radio on the pass. side that says pass. airbag off. Does that one ever light up for you?

Last edited by Jub; 06-26-2023 at 05:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 11:04 PM

Jub,

Thanks for your input. I just read your write up as well and wow, it is super in depth. I agree that if he really bypassed the system then he would 100% have known. I checked the airbag light you mentioned for the passenger and it doesn't seem to illuminate even when there is no weight on the seat. Makes me think it's a faulty SRS system and at this point, it might be too much of a headache to fix as i'd have to source the stock parts and remove the hard dog double diag cage that the car came with in order to have the stock components work with each other.

I looked up the ballade rail you mentioned and currently it's going for about 350. I think given the modifications on the vehicle currently, it might just be cheaper for me to look at getting a 6 point harness to work with the seat and roll cage. Wouldn't have to worry about the stock seatbelts or the airbag this way. I'm going to be taking this car to the track in a few months anyway!

Let me know your thoughts,
Old 06-27-2023, 06:40 PM
Jub

Received 417 Likes on 327 Posts

I key cycled mine. The airbag light in the dash with the person getting hit by the airbag comes on when you turn the key to the on position. The passenger airbag light over the A/C also cycled with it. After a few seconds, both lights went off. The passenger airbag light does have dependencies on if a seat belt is plugged in or not. The OEM seat belt receptacle reads whether it is plugged in or not and needs to be present and have the connector connected to function properly. With my aftermarket seats, I'm using an aftermarket receptacle for the seat belt the passenger will actually use. I have the OEM female receptacle stuffed under the seat and plugged into its initial wiring. I have a male seat belt connector in the center console to put into it when I have a passenger so that the airbag sensor does its thing.

I'd suggest reading up on safety stuff. It's all opinion based on which compromises you're willing to make and nothing is fool proof. I'm of the opinion that a 6-point harness is really meant to work with a HANS device and therefore requires wearing a helmet. 6 points should probably have a containment seat too for side neck movement but I don't have one of them and I'll digress from that point. In an ideal world, 6 points should have HANS and containment seat. I don't think its great to run a 6 point on the street for that reason. The whiplash would be really bad for your neck if you're strapped into a seat and get into an accident. I think 3 points and airbags are ideal for the street and why I went to the lengths that I did to retain them. Many people have done and continue to run 6 points on the street and it's ultimately up to you and what your risk tolerance is. Spitballing but maybe a 4 point with anti-submarining or using an anti-submarining strap on a 6 point would be better than not. I say that because the anti-submarining provides some give, if I'm understanding it correctly. That would, by my guesstimate, help to alleviate some of the whiplash. None of us are going to make it out alive anyways so there's always that....

Last edited by Jub; 06-28-2023 at 09:42 AM.