S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Help! Key Fob

Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Key Fob

Hey guys,

I have a '99 s2000 ap1. Bought it about 10 months ago and always had a problem with the key fob which to be honest I never bothered to fix.

Basically, the car is a japanese import and came with 1 key fob. The fob doesnt work and the guy I had bought it off from says he never tried fixing it either. I had ordered a new key fob and obviously changed batteries etc. but was no use. I tried taking the car to the local honda dealer but they said they can't fix it because they only import european models and they might be different.

I had even tried to configure the keyboard with a guide I had found on this site. The first time I tried it, at one point the doors did lock when I pressed the button but as I continued along the guide nothing happened again. I tried over and over again but there's just no response and nothing happens.

Any ideas ?

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't really help you exactly, but I can say a few things...

1) Japan and European models use different keyless systems (and American models for that matter)...each country has their own specifications.

2) Correct part number for Japanese model key fob should be 72147-S2A-J010-M1 and can be identified by NOT having any kind of label on the back side, maybe your current fob is the wrong part? If so, your local dealer might be able to order the Japanese model fob for you.

Best of luck!
Old 01-26-2010, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the reply... the key fob I had ordered looks just like this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/s2000%2...t/Photo0042.jpg but without the boot release button.

Any idea if that is the Japanese? And if not, do you have an image of the fob I should be looking for?

Thanks
Old 01-26-2010, 07:09 AM

Sorry, no image for the Japanese fob but it DOES have a boot release button (no panic button though, like the American models have).

All S2K fobs have boot release buttons, so it sounds like you've got one from another Honda...
Old 01-26-2010, 07:12 AM

:S Argh.

Erm, any idea where I can get one from? The fob that came with the car doesn't have a boot release button either!

I don't know, confused!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 AM

I understand your frustration...I'd recommend going to your local Honda dealer and asking if they can order part number 72147-S2A-J010-M1. Of course this is a non-European market part so they might complain a bit, but I'd think they could do it. I know a good amount of dealers here in the US can order OEM parts from European or Japanese markets.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:35 PM

They don't order it for me since its a J spec and they only focus on European models :@ Sh!t really, but what can I do?!

My only option is to find an s2000 for breaking (JDM) and getting the fob off them... or install an alarm! Which to be honest, I think might be the easiest option at this point!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:07 PM

That sucks that they won't help you out. You're probably right though, at this point it might make more sense to install an aftermarket alarm (and add some cool features at the same time i.e. window roll up, shock sensor, proximity sensor, etc.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:34 PM

Yea, I'll have a look at some today.

Thanks for your help mate!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:33 AM

Smile

Ok, so maybe I haven't given up just yet

I got a copy of the Helms manual (US though not JDM) and started going through stuff. I checked the fuse and it looks fine so I didn't change it. Put it out and back in and no use (no. 26 right?).

Now, I remember when I first got the car and the key fob didn't work I tried reprogramming it and at one point the door actuators did click but was the only time. After that, whatever I did they never clicked again.

I was going to try check the reciever as explained in the manual but I'm not sure which one it is.

Can someone please have a look at the following pictures and identify it for me?

Driver's Side:

Passenger's Side:

Fob's:

Also, if anyone has a spare fob that looks like the top one and willing to sell it, please let me know... I might as well give it a try Any idea if the bottom one should work or whether it's for the EDM?

Thanks in advance...

Quick Reply: Help! Key Fob