S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

HELP with DVC subwoofer wiring

Old 05-01-2002, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP with DVC subwoofer wiring

Guys,

I have a DVC rockford sub (4 ohm each coil) with a 2 channel amp that can't run at 2 ohm when bridged. I want to know if I can run the left channel to one coil and the right channel to the other coil? Has anyone ever done this with a single woofer? If done will it damage the woofer or amp? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-02-2002, 07:07 PM

timeless... yes you can run the left channel to one coil and the right channel to the other. This will not harm the speaker or amp at all. If I where you though I would still bridge the amp but run it 8 ohm mono. The amp should produce the same amount of power at 8 ohm mono and 4 ohm stereo. The difference being the sub wont try and reproduce two signals at once but the amp will combine all and deliver one signal to the sub. ( less distortion and cancellation) To get an 8 ohm load you just have to series the two coils. ....jump a wire from a positive terminal on one coil to the negative terminal on the other coil.
This will leave you with one neg on one side and one positive on the other, just hook these two left over terminals to the bridged output terminals on the amp.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:47 PM

What you need is another woofer. That amp at 8 ohm is going to put out about 10 watts. You need to get your setup down to 4 ohm or lower to get some bump out of that.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:39 PM

Sweet!! You got your sub!!! Damn you for not telling me!!!

BTW, where'd you get the sub and amp? Specs?

I also have a 2-channel amp spitting 200W rms per channel..bridged is 400Wx1 rms @ 4ohms...I haven't picked up a sub yet, so do you guys think I should get a DVC sub and run 1 channel to each coil, or just a SVC and run the amp bridged? Will it make any difference in terms of wattage I'm delivering to the sub?
Old 05-02-2002, 10:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shamu
[B]Sweet!!
Old 05-03-2002, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by rstark

Get a DVC 2 ohms each voice coil, wire them in series to create a 4 ohm load and bridge your amp.
Would the amp be bridged @ 2 ohms at this point (i.e. to each voice coil)? What would the RMS wattage be in this setup?
Old 05-03-2002, 01:42 AM

[B]

Would the amp be bridged @ 2 ohms at this point (i.e. to each voice coil)?
Old 05-03-2002, 01:45 AM

Hahaha -- definitely!

I'm still unsure as to how this setup would be better than just wiring my amp to a SVC @ 4 ohms...in this situation I would be pushing 400Wx1 RMS...in the DVC setup with 2 ohms in series, how much wattage would I be supplying to the sub?

Again...
Old 05-03-2002, 01:54 AM

[B]Hahaha -- definitely!
Old 05-06-2002, 03:41 PM

Thanks for all the info guys!

I also found out that I could run one channel to each coil, but the trick is to merge the input signal first to create a mono signal for both left and right. If my amp had the switch then it would have been easier.

Samu - I'm proabaly gonna go with a 8" Audioban DVC that fits into a 0.33 sealed box that will go into the sparetire spot.

Quick Reply: HELP with DVC subwoofer wiring