S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Help on choosing systems

Old 09-05-2004, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on choosing systems

Hello everyone. I used to own a prelude with 7 speakers so i didnt have a problem wiring everything up (amp/sub/speakers/deck) and getting good sound. Now with the s2k, they only have 4 speakers. Is it necessary to get the other two speak (a total of 6 speakers) to make the sound system sound good?

Also, im looking into getting the JL Stealth box with a good JL sub in it, and some speakers, amp and all that stuff. I know i will be spending over $1000 on it so im not much in worry. Anyways, what kind of stuff should i get first? I will be purchasing a new Alpine deck, but im wondering if i should do it all at once. And i just need to know if its necessary to get 2 more speakers. Thanks!
Old 09-05-2004, 09:04 PM

I would not waste money on a Stealthbox. They are overpriced and JL's subs are not as great as everyone thinks they are. Go with Lucid's box for $99 and add a Image Dynamics ID10D4 V.3. $200 done. A Stealthbox is like $500-600. Rediculous! Now if you want something JL, their amps are decent. You can go with something like the 300/4 and bridge the 3/4 channels for the sub. As for the front speakers, get a good set of components (CDT, DEI Neo, Diamond, Focal, Dynaudio, Boston, etc...). Whether one sounds better than the other is really subjective. I've heard the DEI's, Dynaudios (I've owned a set) and CDT's and for the money, the DEI's are great. They're really lightweight also. You'd be amazed when you lifted one of the woofers up. They kinda feel cheap, but the neo magnet is really light (but powerful). I don't think you'd need to add another set of speakers. You don't want sound coming from behind you. I wouldn't go too crazy with a system in a 2-door convertible. It's just not a good platform for caraudio. I spent way to much time, effort and money on my Miata and there's just too much road and wind noise to enjoy a good system. However, with a decent set of components and sub, a powerful amp and good head unit, it'll sound 100x better than the factory system. BTW, I'd recommend one of Alpines higher-end models with time delay for imaging. It works wonders. Links to the sub stuff I was talking about:

http://www.lucidauto.com
http://www.mmxpress.com/id.html
Old 09-06-2004, 11:22 AM

Make sure you lurk over in the Bay Area Forum and the FS forum. You can find used Stealthboxes for around $300. Infact the person I bought mine from (devilchrist) is parting out the rest of his system right now. I have heard it in person and it is very nice. The other option is Wlaurent's 8" enclosure which is what I was going to get until I saw the used stealthbox. I would get that and a high quality 8" over Lucid's 10" only because his regular box is too shallow for any hard hitting 10"s anyway. Plus I think it's better use of trunk space.

As for rears, I would get higher end fronts and more power instead.

There is no reason for you to do it all at once. I would suggest getting the DCI when you install the Alpine though. I will warn you, as soon as you put the new HU in, you will want to upgrade everything else.