S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Headrest wiring harness

Old 07-21-2005, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headrest wiring harness

Sorry to ask this, but with the search down there's not much in the way of alternative.

I seem to recall seeing comments about how the wiring for the headrest speakers was included in the 04/05 models. Does this mean that the harness extends to under the seats already? Up to the seat backs? What?

I'm asking because I'm thinking about putting in headphone jacks as an alternative to the headrest speakers. Used to be, you'd get popped for wearing headphones while driving, but with all the new hands-free headset phone stuff -- required by law here in Santa Fe and encouraged elsewhere -- you see lots of people wearing headsets. Headphones for music aren't that different, really.

Seems like you could use the harness to put headphone jacks into the sides of the headrest frames, solving the crappy stereo / wind noise problems. TIA, HPH
Old 07-21-2005, 09:42 AM

The rear speakers harness is under the center console. You may need to remove the stock HU to find the harness.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:37 AM

they should already be pre-wired into the harness. There should be wires that are just pig-tailed out the back of the harness for possible future headrest speakers.....Your car may be different, though. Slide the stereo out and see if the wires are there.

John
Old 07-21-2005, 07:28 PM

Hmm. Thanks. The instructions I found for installing the headrest speakers involve running harness wires (that come with the speakers) from under the dash to under the seats (via the door trim); and then running wires from the headrests down to the seat bases to connect to the harness.

But if there are only pigtails off the head unit, then maybe putting jacks farther forward would make sense.

I'll poke around (now that I have the car) and see what I can find. HPH
Old 07-22-2005, 03:15 AM

i am interested to hear what you find as well.
i just ordered some s-pods and when i looked
up the pre-wiring set-up found the same
schematics you found. taking off the door panels
etc., seemed like more of a job than i wanted to
take on. planning on taking the car to a shop and
letting them deal with it unless the pre-wired
set-up is much easier to get to.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:25 PM

Wiring those seats does indeed seem like a job for the pros.

On the other hand, I bet I could do the headphone jacks myself, by putting them somewhere in the console. The best way to do this would be to use one of the parts from the headrest speaker kit: what's called the "speaker harness" -- a four-pin connector that plugs into an existing harness under the dash, then makes a Y to go to the two seats (via that door frame business).

Does anyone know where a single part like this might be purchased? Recommendations? Thanks, HPH
Old 07-24-2005, 05:58 PM

Received 216 Likes on 138 Posts

I'm putting in some s-pods and got as far as installing them in the rollbars today. I popped up the console cover and popped out the trim around the head unit, unscrewed it and slide it forward with removing any of the connectors on the back.

That was as far as I got. From what I could see there is an antenna wire coming out the driver's side of the back of the radio, and everything else coming out 1 or 2 connectors coming out the passenger side of the back of the head unit. All of those wires go into a black wire wrap and I didn't see any extra connector that looked like it was for rear speakers.

I plan on taking more trim off tomorrow to see if I can find the connector.

On another note, when I took off the trim panel behind the driver's seat there is some wiring with a 3 wire connector that is not hooked to anything, does anyone know what that's for.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the conector behind your drivers seat is for the rear window defrost for the optional OEM hardtop - if i remember correctly you'll see the 04/05 rear speaker hareness up above your right knee when sitting in the car - it is taped to another connector
Old 07-25-2005, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bass,Jul 25 2005, 06:41 AM
the conector behind your drivers seat is for the rear window defrost for the optional OEM hardtop - if i remember correctly you'll see the 04/05 rear speaker hareness up above your right knee when sitting in the car - it is taped to another connector
do you have to remove the HU or side panels to see the harness?
obviously i am new at this.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:11 AM

According to the headset speaker install instructions, you remove a console panel (on the side, by the driver's right knee) with a screw and two clips. It's taped up in there somehow. HPH

Quick Reply: Headrest wiring harness