S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Headrest Speakers

Old 02-22-2012 | 03:22 AM

I have a set of the boston acoustics ProSeries 6.43 System combines our 6.4LF 6-inch woofer, 4.4LF 4-inch midrange, and Neo 4t 1-inch tweeter so im at a little of a loss on were the hell to put the 4" midrange speaker .
Old 02-22-2012 | 07:13 AM
10 Year Member

As others said.. buying headrest speakers just results in shit sound quality and a crappy sound stage. Period. I have an '06 w/ the tiny oem speakers built into the seats and they're useless now. If you have a good pair of components in the doors driven by an amp, any headrest speakers just make things worse. Mine are still hooked up, but I have the headunit faded to the front completely, so they don't emit any sound. Don't waste the time/effort/money with headrest speakers, because the SQ is disappointing (and the soundstage is thrown off). Just get some components and an amp to drive them.
Old 02-22-2012 | 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
As others said.. buying headrest speakers just results in shit sound quality and a crappy sound stage. Period. I have an '06 w/ the tiny oem speakers built into the seats and they're useless now. If you have a good pair of components in the doors driven by an amp, any headrest speakers just make things worse. Mine are still hooked up, but I have the headunit faded to the front completely, so they don't emit any sound. Don't waste the time/effort/money with headrest speakers, because the SQ is disappointing (and the soundstage is thrown off). Just get some components and an amp to drive them.

totally agree, to add one thing - SOUND DEADEN YOUR DOORS - outside skin and inside - this keeps out road noise and allows your speaker to emit more sound by stopping the panel from vibrating so more sound energy goes to sound not vibrating your door!
Old 02-22-2012 | 08:11 AM

as for the 2000 year owners, yes i know you dont have tweeters in your doors (thats a good thing) honda placed those tweeters in the worse place for a good sound stage, put you tweeter on the A pilar and aim them 6" below mirror to reflect off windshield.

as for all the questions on upgrading my sound ,not wanting to upgrade radio....... be open minded, radios are cheap today, with all new features in a new radio and the factory radio was a piece when it was made, buy a new radio, new speakers and of course an amp with my footwell sub ( had to plug it)
Old 02-22-2012 | 08:48 AM
10 Year Member

As 2big suggested, the sound deadening is def noticeable, I did mine and any vibrations/rattles are largely non-existant. I wish I could afford that stealth sub 2big.. I'm just too cheap. To add, for those questioning how loud the stereo gets, I can be driving 80+mph with the top down, and easily have the pair of components overpower any wind/road noise and clearly hear the music. They get VERY loud. Not to menion, the sound is clean/distortion free (I remember the first time I got the car and turned up the radio.. lol). Of course, turning up the volume that loud will certainly lead to me going deaf, so I don't do it, but I just wanted to emphasize how the rear headrest speakers (or hell, any rear speakers) are completely unnecessary.
Old 02-23-2012 | 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by TerminatioN
As I said in your other thread, the eBay ones are the way to go.

The OEM headrest ones are rather small... something stupid like 3" diameter... Certainly nowhere near as big as the eBay ones allow. Upgrading the OEM headrest ones would be a waste of time and money...

Get the eBay ones, put in your speaker of choice, and enjoy. You won't be disappointed. No one has ever gone with those and wish they would have gone OEM instead...

so...I bought these headrest mounts and a pair of 6 1/2 Infinity Reference Coaxial speakers that I was going to use with my 800w Infinity 4ch amp. I have already replaced my stock speakers with 6 ½ Infinity Reference Components. I am using an Alpine x-100 with all of this. I plan on Installing the head rest speakers soon, but if everyone is saying it’s going to sound bad, would it sound ok if I just move 75% of the sound to the front? I was just looking for a little bit more bass and not having to turn it up so loud when I have my hardtop off and top down.
Old 02-23-2012 | 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by bbova
on the 2000 model, dont we just have the door speakers? what do you recomend for the doors, i was looking to get a headunit and new door speakers and amp, i just purchased the car so i dont even have it getting it this weekend but want to upgrade while its in my garage for the winter
I upgraded to 2002-2003 door panels and also have tweeters by the lower door speakers in mine. 6 speakers with plans to add 2 to the rear panels behind the seats. Eventually looking to add the floor mount that Andy(2big4as2000) makes