S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Headlights keep blowing

Old 07-31-2016, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlights keep blowing

The other night I had flashed my lights around 4 times soon after driving down the road and my drivers side headlight blew. It was the same day I changed my TCT (moved the airbox out the way etc.)

I changed the HID with a Phillips bulb on the friday on driving down the road and flashing the headlights to say thankyou the same happened again!

I changed the bulb one final time Saturday morning on turning the stalk to switch on the lights for a test it instantly blew the bulb.

Does this sound like a ballast failing and sending too much charge to the bulb?

I will look tomorrow at swapping the passenger side ballast to drivers side to see if it happens when the ballast is swapped.

Cheers all!
Old 08-03-2016, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ShoooRn
The other night I had flashed my lights around 4 times soon after driving down the road and my drivers side headlight blew. It was the same day I changed my TCT (moved the airbox out the way etc.)

I changed the HID with a Phillips bulb on the friday on driving down the road and flashing the headlights to say thankyou the same happened again!

I changed the bulb one final time Saturday morning on turning the stalk to switch on the lights for a test it instantly blew the bulb.

Does this sound like a ballast failing and sending too much charge to the bulb?

I will look tomorrow at swapping the passenger side ballast to drivers side to see if it happens when the ballast is swapped.

Cheers all!

I don't know how the ballasts work, or their modes of failure, but you are not touching the glass part of the bulb, when you are installing them, right? oils from your skin will cause the bulbs to fail prematurely.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:07 AM

Hi Seattle s2k - no wasn't touching the bulbs at all on the glass side. So thankfully that wasnt it

A little update then : I took the car to Honda after being under the inner wings for far too long. I knew it was likely to be the ballast so told them just that.

They've since called me and informed me that they've stripped the front end off and found that the "Inverter Unit" is not getting power and informed me it'll be £703.97 for a new Inverter unit.

I've called back after getting some prices from the states for a new ballast and ignitor and asked to confirm the part number... sadly I was told I could know the name but could not know the part number until I ordered the part due to Honda Confidentiality! I'd never heard of such madness.

I've found a part for £99 and just waiting on delivery.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:37 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Geesh... what would make an inverter go bad? Hate to have that happen, again.

Good luck!