S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Head Units with or without internal amps?

Old 08-13-2002, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Units with or without internal amps?

I am wanting to upgrade my HU, but am on the fence about whether to get one with a built in amp. My question is, if you aren't going to compete and just want to have a nice sounding stereo, why spend more to get a HU you have to buy an extra amp for? Someone please explain this to me!

Also, are Alpine HU's the only ones that will allow us to retain our dash controls? I, for one, really like them.

Lastly, is a powered HU with upgraded speakers sound that much worse than a system with a bigger amp powering the speakers? In other words, does the aftermarket HU pump out enough power for the speakers? Someone please help me out! I'm going crazy!

Any HU recommendations?
Old 08-13-2002, 08:28 PM

You tend to get a cleaner signal from a unit without an internal amp when you have an external amp. On this car I doubt you'd hear the difference.

I use a Kenwood Mp919 which is BOTH. It has a built in amp that can be turned off for external use. I like this feature because I can swap this deck out to another car if i choose to do so. It also good if you're going to upgrade.

Alpines are excellent decks cant go wrong there. Any deck thats non-sony will allow you to keep you dash controls via the SWIX controller. NEED a WIRELESS REMOTE DECK though. Alpine Europe has an input jack to use the S2000 controller that is hardwired and by far the best option. But the US counterparts lack these jacks. The result is a slight delay on the SWIX which you get use to after you have it. Delay meaning that you must press the button rather than a quick jab, a split second response.

Yes an aftermarket deck driving front and rear speakers is excellent. PLUS rewiring the door speakers is not needed (gauge of wire is too small for an amp but ok for a deck).

Really your best value and an upgrade you can really do yourself is new door/rear speakers and a new deck.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:28 PM

Just a question

so there are no aftermarket HU's that allow you to use your dash controls without a SWIX??

and with the SWIX, you need to hold down the buttoms longer for it to work?
Old 08-13-2002, 11:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by F20C_S2k
[B]Just a question

so there are no aftermarket HU's that allow you to use your dash controls without a
Old 08-14-2002, 12:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the Alpine 7995, which has no internal amp, and am very happy with it. The problem with powered head units is that most do not provide enough clean power to be loud enough when driving top down at 70+, IMO. There is also more of a cooling issue with the S2000 head units because...

1) It is mounted directly over the transmission tunnel, which gets quite hot after extended driving.
2) It has a radio door cover over the face, which again, leads to inefficient cooling.

I must add that this just in theory, as I have never ran a high output head unit in my S. Of course, there are cooling issues depending on the amp placement as well, but at least you have some options as to its location.

As far as dash controls, the PAC will allow you to keep them, as Lucid said. Many people have gone this direction with good results. I'm also working on a solution that actually ADDS dash control functionality while maintaining the stock look. There is absolutely no delay, no need to program, and you get to use other commands, such as ffwd, rew, MP3 folder up, MP3folder down, track advance, track rewind, etc. You can check on the status here...

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=66534
Old 08-14-2002, 03:56 AM

I may go to Amsterdam next month. Can I pick up a European HU there that will work here in the U.S? I prefer one with an amp as I run the rear speakers from the HU and have a two channel amp for the front Infinitys. I was looking at the U.S. Alpine model 7894.

Specifically what Euro HU and additional parts or part numbers would be needed to complete the job?

1.)Euro Alpine 7894, or its equivalent...wireless remote still needed?

2.)Alpine Adapter?

3.)Anything else? Or just the Amp, period?

If someone here is smart enough to tell me exactly what I need, I am just smart enough to follow the shopping list exactly.

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 08-14-2002, 06:02 AM

Hi,

1.)Euro Alpine 7894, or its equivalent...wireless remote still needed?

You can use any Alpine model that can handle Alpine steering wheel remote adaptors. To my knowledge, the following current european Alpine HUs support this:

2.)Alpine Adapter?

865B

If you are only in Europe for a few days I suggest to call a shop and ask them to order it. The 865B is only for the Honda S2000, so practically no shop has got in stock.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:06 AM

By the way: I installed my 7894 and the 865B this weekend.

This combination is great!
Old 08-14-2002, 08:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just so you don't get hit with any surprises, there is also an issue with getting AM stations with the European head units, from what I've heard. Most people don't consider it a problem, though.

Try this...

http://search.s2ki.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?co...=alpine+adapter
Old 08-14-2002, 08:52 AM

gauge of wire is too small for an amp but ok for a deck
This is absolutely not true.

- Warren

Quick Reply: Head Units with or without internal amps?