S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Head unit swap - major difference?

Old 12-01-2003, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head unit swap - major difference?

I installed a set of Focal 6.5" component speakers paired with a 200 watt amp over the holiday weekend and it does sound much better than the stock setup ever did - my question is whether a new headunit will really make a big difference in the quality. I do hear a little hiss on some silent passages in some songs which I attribute to either the speakers being much more sensitive than the stock HU or just that the stock HU is putting out a crappy signal to begin with. I have a line-level converter behind the stock unit so that i can use the RCA's into the amp which I'd like to get rid of but not sure if it's really worth spending $300+ for a new head unit + DCI to do it. Any thoughts?
Old 12-01-2003, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a good post and I'm curious what people have to say. I have a completely stock non-component system and the bass is boomy and the treble is way too high. It's odd that there is such a lack of mids... not to mention that my leg eats all the left speaker frequencies.

Is this bass in the HU or the speakers? Did your install of the amp and components alieviate this heavy bass bias?
Old 12-01-2003, 01:15 PM

The line level converters almost always introduce noise into the signal. Plus, it's unlikely that the high power outputs on your HU are anywhere near as clean as some line level outs would be given that they've been through an additional one or two stages of amplification. So, I would say that a new HU would certainly make a difference - at least as far as noise in the signal is concerned (hiss, buzz, ignition noise, etc).

Matt
Old 12-01-2003, 02:09 PM

I had the same setup recently, but gave it up for a Alpine 9815.

I did not however hear much hissing noise using a line level converter and shieleded RCA's running through the center console(separate from the power lines running along the Passenger side footsill) to the amp in the trunk. Also, make sure that your line level converter has a good ground.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:25 AM

Well, I've decided to pick up a head unit, mostly just to get rid of that line-out converter and to have a cleaner signal. I ran 4-guage power cable on the right side of the car and 14-guage speaker wire on the left side of the car so I don't think it's the wiring that's giving me the noise.

Anyone else notice a big difference when upgrading from stock head unit using an amplifier?
Old 12-03-2003, 11:55 AM

I had an amp and aftermarket components hooked up to my stock HU and the sound was pretty good (much better than stock anyway). I recently upgraded to a new HU with real RCAs to hook up to the amp and now the sound is great! I would recommend it for the sound quality and the cool features a new HU can provide.

Radio reception still sucks though.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:26 AM

Must depend on your speakers.

I first upgraded to MB Quart QSD 216s and a 2x125 PPI amp for them with the stock head unit (to keep the dash controls). The sound was atrocious. If better than stock it was only by a little and that was after I spent around $1500 on that upgrade.

Since then I've added an Eclipse CD8053 head unit and the sound is stunning (like I was hoping for in the first place!) The image is still feable with the speakers point at my calves and the tweeters shooting at eachother from across the car, but with the top up the system sounds very good and with the top down and windows up it sounds good.

Rear speakers, DCI, and subwoofer to go and it should sound great.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:26 AM

Oh yeah, and reception does still suck
Old 12-19-2003, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your reception sucks, make sure you've connected your power antenna wire from the aftermarket head unit to your car compatible harness.

our tiny little antenna is actually a powered antenna... if you don't connect the power antenna lead, you're not using the amplifier in the antenna = sucky reception.

just an FYI.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PJK3
if your reception sucks, make sure you've connected your power antenna wire from the aftermarket head unit to your car compatible harness.

our tiny little antenna is actually a powered antenna...

Quick Reply: Head unit swap - major difference?