S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Head unit/Amp assistance needed

Old 07-17-2006 | 09:48 PM

Default Head unit/Amp assistance needed

So I've been gathering, revising and revisiting my equipment list for replacing the stock system and I think this is where I'm at but would appreciate any advise from current or past owners of this equipment or those that looked at it and decided on something else.

For the head unit I think I've decided on the Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT. I looked at the Alpine 9857 but I'd have to spend an extra $200 for BT, which is a selling point for me. I also like the fact that Pioneer has 5v outputs vs the 2v on the Alpine. Now I was also waiting for the Blaupunkt St. Louis MP56, which was delayed two weeks and what's worse, I can't find a dealer in a hundred miles that even carries their HU. So even though I'd probably order on-line, I'd at least like to see what it is I'm ordering. Now with the Pioneer, it appears to have a wired remote plug so am I correct in assuming the wired Modifry would work on this unit?

Speakers, I listened to Polk, Kenwood, Pioneer, Boston...blah blah blah...and have liked the Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1's the best. They may not have been the loudest of the bunch, but there was a definite difference in the clarity of the sound, at least to me. I've seen there isn't much to putting these in the door so this what I'm leaning towards.

Now as far as the Amp goes, this is where I'm unsure. My biggest requirement, other the enough power, is size. I don't know that I want to remove the spare or tools just yet, even though I do carry a can of fix a flat. So I'm thinking about the Alpine PDX-2.150 and hiding it by the filler neck. Does anyone have any other recommendations for an amp that would be small enough as not to take up useable space in the trunk? Was also thinking about the PDX-4.150 just incase I wanted to get a small sub in the future, or would this be a waste of money at this time since I'm not sure I'll ever go the sub route?

I really haven't seen that much discussion on what to do with the rollbar speakers either. Are more people just leaving them for fill sound, disconnecting them or replacing them and I'm just missing those conversations? I have read some talk about putting tweeters in there, but agree with others that it would prove to be to much hiss. Any advise on this one would be much appreciated as well.

As far as what I'm expecting out of the system, just a clear sound while driving with the top down around town and on the interstate. I'm not looking to host a rolling block party or announcing my presents 30 seconds before I go by, just cleaner sound then the stock unit provides. Typical music selection varies between 70's to present rock/metal/pop (Metallica, CCR, Black Eyed Peas, Aerosmith, The Killers, Creed, Nickleback, Eminem, Def Leppard, Limp Bizkit, Stained)
Old 07-17-2006 | 10:14 PM

The Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT is probably going to be my next head unit as well and for the same reason (5v outputs vs the 2v and built in BT vs extra module).

I use the Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 and love them, I also have the 10.1 sub for the trunk and a pair of 5.1's that I plan on installing in S pods in the roll hoops.

Audison LRX series amps sound very nice, are quite small, but unfortunately are not cheap. Revhi uses them and I plan to use them as well.

[QUOTE]
My temporary setup.
Old 07-17-2006 | 11:27 PM

are you sure about the BT? i was considering it, too... but remember that we're in a very loud environment.. unless you have a hardtop and good sound dampening.. i imagine it'd be difficult for the other person to listen to you.

as far as amp, might as well put it in the tool well... it'll only take away like 3" of height and you'll have more flexibility as far as amp goes

if you later upgrade to a sub, you can get a shallow 8" (edesigns, for example) and mount it against the left or right side of the trunk because they have small box requirements
Old 07-18-2006 | 08:31 AM

hahnn, that's a very clean setup you have, looks great. Probably a bit more then I'm looking for but I'll have to take a look at those Audison LRX amps.

smurf, as far as the BT question, yeah I'm sure going down the highway it won't do much good, but in normal driving around town I'm hoping it will be fine. Plus the call would be displayed on the HU, so you wouldn't need to reach for your phone to see who was calling. I've heard good things from other car manufactures and have talked to people while they were driving and while it's not the best, it's better then having to fumble with the phone. I'm not sure I'd want to put the amp in the tool well though, seems like it would be better to remove the spare and put it in that space if I'm not going to leave room for the tire in the event of a flat. I have thought about that sub idea you suggested, mainly because then I could remove it when I was going golfing without giving up any real usable space. Also though about the tool well for the sub and just relying on the fix a flat, but again, not sure I need a sub at this point...
Old 07-18-2006 | 10:04 AM

Not my setup, it belongs to Revhi, just an example of what is in the pic thread and how the Audison amps fit. I don't have pics of my car yet, I've been on the road for a while and won't be home to play with the car again until September.