S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Has anyone installed rear speakers and NOT liked the results?

Old 12-27-2001, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone installed rear speakers and NOT liked the results?

I've seen many comments from people who have installed rear speakers and liked the results. I've also seen comments from people who refuse to add rear speakers because of the potential damage to stage and image. I don't think I've seen anyone who actually tried their car with rear speakers and didn't like them though. So, I'm curious to see if anyone fits this description. And, if someone does, I'd be interested in hearing what you found about the change that you didn't like.
Old 12-27-2001, 03:49 PM

I put in the rear speakers last weekend and can not recommend it enough.
I bought the precut panels from Lucid, chose my own speakers and to say I am pleased is a big understatement.
The one thing I would say though is that the only way you will really appriciate the difference is to listen to someone who has them fitted.
Best buy you can do, I can recommend the speakers listed below,

Sorry I can not say anything negative but really does make a HUGE difference

Anthony
Old 12-27-2001, 04:42 PM
JL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this goes against the popular opinion, but I will take a chance here: I regret that I installed the rear speakers.

These are the sequence of what I did:

1. I replaced the front speakers with a drop-in Panasonic some cheap co-ax model (~$50) on the second day I got the car. Say, I improved the sound by +1 in scale of 0 (stock) to 10 (where I wanted to go).

2. Replaced the HU with JVC 99 MP3 deck. I also installed PAC-3 and replaced the speaker wires to the door. +2

3. Someone gave me a used Soundstream Reference 200 model amp: 2-ch x 25-45W. It fit nicely under the passenger seat. (I am under the strict order from my wife that I cannot alter anything in the trunk.) The amp helped a lot: +3

3. Installed rear speakers. I went for a 4" component, Polk EX2540.

I am 6'5". I have to keep the seat all the way back and seatback pressed against the rear wall to drive safely. I installed the tweeters on the curved side panel of the center storage unit, from which my seatback leaves about 1" gap. I hoped for being able to hear the tweeter sound although the woofer completely covered.

I didn't like the sound stage. My rear got much louder than the front. I guess I am so used to listening to the sound in front (concert, home speakers, TV, movies, ...), I felt like I am sitting on the front row at a concert but my back against the stage.

Then, the low and mid-range from the woofer was totally muffled and became unbearable. This I noticed even more after sitting in the passenger side where the seatback left a little room in front of the rear speakers. The sound was much clearer although the sound stage was still strange. This is true today: the sound is better in my passenger seat than driver's. This is rather unfortunate for me because I like to drive this car!

So, this set me back: -5

4. (Boy, I wished I just installed a co-ax in the back, then I would have just replace the panel.) My first corrective action was to add more power to the rear. So, I bought Soundstream A4 amp (4-ch x 50W) and replaced the amp. The new one was a little bigger than the old but fit under the seat. This didn't help much: +0 (At least, I got the mute button working for all 4 speakers using a relay to the remote power line to the amp.)

5. I went for broke: I replaced the fronts with MB Quart PSD 216 components. This is their new model which they used titanium for both the tweeter and woofer cones. I know I can drive loud on these. I put the tweeter just above the woofer, right next to the door lock. This helped a lot. The whole system sounds much cleaner, balanced (the front is lot louder than the rear), and I can live with this. +5

So, where am I? I feel like I achieved somewhere 7-8 out of 10 but I am going to stop here and start enjoying the music for a while. I think I can use more power, maybe a sub someday. But then, I don't know where I can put them unless in the trunk.

If I do it again, I may end up at the same state but I would definitely take a different order:

1. HU
2. Amp
3. Fronts
4. Another fronts
5. 3-way fronts
6. Rear

I would not touch anything in the back other than the replaceable panel, until I know for sure to be able to live with the sound stage.

JL
Old 12-27-2001, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by JL
I know this goes against the popular opinion, but I will take a chance here: I regret that I installed the rear speakers.
Thanks for your input. I'm not really concerned with which opinion is more common. I'm just trying to look at all the available information and opinions so I can make the most informed decision possible.

3. Installed rear speakers. I went for a 4" component, Polk EX2540.

I am 6'5". I have to keep the seat all the way back and seatback pressed against the rear wall to drive safely. I installed the tweeters on the curved side panel of the center storage unit, from which my seatback leaves about 1" gap. I hoped for being able to hear the tweeter sound although the woofer completely covered.

I didn't like the sound stage. My rear got much louder than the front. I guess I am so used to listening to the sound in front (concert, home speakers, TV, movies, ...), I felt like I am sitting on the front row at a concert but my back against the stage.

Then, the low and mid-range from the woofer was totally muffled and became unbearable. This I noticed even more after sitting in the passenger side where the seatback left a little room in front of the rear speakers. The sound was much clearer although the sound stage was still strange. This is true today: the sound is better in my passenger seat than driver's. This is rather unfortunate for me because I like to drive this car!
Some of the things you noticed are things that concern me. I've got two amp channels that would have to be running both the front and rear speakers and I really don't want the backs to be overbearing. With only the two amp channels, there isn't going to be much I can do if I end up with that "back against the stage" feeling.

I would not touch anything in the back other than the replaceable panel, until I know for sure to be able to live with the sound stage.

JL
If I do go through with adding the rears, I'll be using the new Polk EX340 4" coaxials. So, if I really hate the outcome I can replace the panels and fix it back like new. But, I'd rather make the right decision up front than have to undo the work and waste the money it costs to try.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:27 PM

[QUOTE]I didn't like the sound stage. My rear got much louder than the front. I guess I am so used to listening to the sound in front (concert, home speakers, TV, movies, ...), I felt like I am sitting on the front row at a concert but my back against the stage.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:36 PM
JL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rstark
[B]
Old 12-27-2001, 09:09 PM

IMHO, you can definitely live without the rear speakers installed. The system will still sound great (i.e. if you have a decent aftermarket setup to begin with). If you have a little bit of xtra money to burn (read as, you want to spend money on something but you don't exactly know what to buy), then you can do the rear speaker setup. Again, my opinion, it adds a little bit but not a whole lot to system to justify going out of your way. Please no flames here, I still salute lucid et. al. for pioneering the idea. It is definitely a cool idea!

BTW, I have tried it both ways Right now I have my fronts powered up and my rears turned off... it still sound as good as the 4 speaker setup.

Again, my opinion.

Thanks <off the podium>,
Old 12-27-2001, 10:41 PM

IMHO. Being regular Joe, not knowing what sound staging is or what it does, I really like my rear speakers.
It makes sound more clear and fuller, and I could definitely tell b/w w/ or w/o rear on.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:01 PM

It comes down to two schools of thought:

1. Present your sound in front of you - like a concert.
2. Present your sound around you - like a movie/home theater

The rears are not intended to overpower the fronts - they supplement them. This car has too many intrusions of noise. Rear speakers fill in the gaps giving you more clarity and depth to your music.

If you maintain your original radio and don't add an amp it only makes sense to add rear speakers. Why use half your radio?
Old 12-28-2001, 04:41 AM

How can the sound improve given the speaker is covered by the back of the seat. Doesn't it just muffle the sound?

And how much are we talking about for the rear speaker panel?

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed rear speakers and NOT liked the results?