S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Has anybody else tried rear speakers and then gone back to stock?

Old 04-04-2003, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody else tried rear speakers and then gone back to stock?

I put in a set of Diamond Audio 4" components. But, with the back of my seat being so close to them, the sound was too muffled/midrange-y. BTW, the bottom of my seat is all the way back, and the top part is all the way up. Anyway, the sound of the muffled rears was taking away from the sound of the rest of my system, so I disconnected them and have a set of replacement rear panels on order. Anybody else go through this?

gil
Old 04-04-2003, 12:14 PM

I find the sound muffled somewhat, but it adds that much needed fill from the rear. Plus, feeling the bass on my back is a bonus. I now find that I can hear so much more music with the top down becasue of the rears. I would never give them up.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:56 PM

I ditched my rear speakers. I needed the leg room and a more comfortable seating position.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:52 PM

My seating position wasn't any different after installing the rears. It was just a matter of sound quality. I didn't really need extra volume from the rears, either. The 100W per channel going to my Focal 165K2s seems to give me enough top-down volume.

gil
Old 04-04-2003, 08:47 PM

Polk components and a JL Stealthbox works quite nice for me. Who needs rears?
Old 04-06-2003, 06:46 PM
mas

Originally posted by 145
The 100W per channel going to my Focal 165K2s seems to give me enough top-down volume.
gil
Try doubling that power and you'd be happier
Old 04-06-2003, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Hondafan
I needed the leg room and a more comfortable seating position.

How tall are you? I am almost 6' and I sit fine. The grilles don't even touch the seats even in the full back position. Actualy the further I put the seat back, the more bass I feel on the seat which gives the impression of more bass when the top is down and there is little to no audible bass. Sort of like a bass shaker, only better. I am sure the L7 I ordered will give plenty of shake too, but if I had chosen to go without a sub, I don't see how I could live without rears. Not knocking your choice, obviously everyone enjoys different things, I just was never happy with the sound stage that fronts only provided. Too one dimensional for me.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by mas

Try doubling that power and you'd be happier
Really, mas? We're talking RMS here, right? The 165K2s are listed at 100W nominal, 200W max. How much power are you giving yours? And where are you crossing them over. I recently realized how much more bass I could get out of them buy running them flat (well, actually at about 50Hz, but compared to where I had them before, i.e., 80Hz). Is it OK to let them produce all that bass? How about that, combined w/ doubling the power to 200W?

thanks,
gil
Old 04-06-2003, 07:52 PM

you are correct about the rated power. if you run them at 200 you have to be careful with your gains and playing with the volume level. i'm doubt mas is running at 200RMS all the time. but that's definately a lot of headroom with an amp that large.

i prefer to xover my focals at 120hz, i think they sound crisper and the midrange seems stronger when they aren't trying to play bass lower then that. you need to experiment for yourself to see what your ears like.

i'm feeding my focals about 100RMS and i'm pretty happy with it. they are already loud and clear enough.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by sireousrex

How tall are you? I am almost 6' and I sit fine. The grilles don't even touch the seats even in the full back position. Actualy the further I put the seat back, the more bass I feel on the seat which gives the impression of more bass when the top is down and there is little to no audible bass. Sort of like a bass shaker, only better. I am sure the L7 I ordered will give plenty of shake too, but if I had chosen to go without a sub, I don't see how I could live without rears. Not knocking your choice, obviously everyone enjoys different things, I just was never happy with the sound stage that fronts only provided. Too one dimensional for me.
I'm 6'3" so I need all the leg room I can get, even if it means 1"

I have 100 watts feeding each of the Polks and 200 feeding the Stealthbox. I've tried both ways and decided that I have enough power that rears are not required.

Oh, by the way I feel tons of bass in any seat position. Gotta love the JL.

Quick Reply: Has anybody else tried rear speakers and then gone back to stock?