S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Front/Rear speaker rewiring

Old 09-23-2012, 05:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front/Rear speaker rewiring

From my research it seems that the door speakers on my 2003 S2000 is wired so both the components are on the same channel, "front speakers". Has anyone ran wires so the tweeters are set as the front speakers and the larger speakers are set as the "rears"? I figured this would not only give me a little more power but the ability to easily adjust the tweeters to not blow my ears out (if that makes sense). I plan on replacing the speakers and was going to rewire for the mod while doing so if it was worth it.

Thoughts? Concerns?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

--
Luke
Old 09-23-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ummm... You don't want to do that for all kinds of reason.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
Ummm... You don't want to do that for all kinds of reason.

Go on.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:03 PM

Ok... Ever sat in a home movie theater?... Let's assume your answer is yes...

How do you think it would sound if you took the rear speakers and put them on top of the front stage speakers?

Exactly.... it would sound like crap. Thats almost what you have just in your car... Although car audio can be a little different, it's the same type of set up... Hence most cars have 4 or more channels. It's like that so the sound is reproduced properly.

Most people use the rear as a rear fill... Similar to a home theater... Most of you sound will come from in front of you however if you went from a car the had not rear speakers to a car that had them the sound is night and day.

Rear channels in most cars are not designed to be as loud as the front.... because there not suppose to be.

Now the let me ask you a few things...

1. Without having a proper crossover in place, How do you plan on running a full channel into a tweeter?
2. Same question as above but into the woofer??
3. What made you think this would work?
Old 09-23-2012, 01:48 PM

It would work as long as they are crossed over at the right frequencies. I wouldnt waste my time for stock speakers and or stock hu.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:49 PM

Aka get an aftermarket hu and bi-amp the components and use an eq to deliver the right frequencies. Kind of a tedious setup though.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:17 PM

I have an aftermarket head unit already. (sorry I didn't say that!)
Old 09-23-2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by voltij
Hi, car audio guru here.

Music is typically recorded into two channels, left and right. This means that the ideal and most proper way to reproduce two-channel music is with two channels.

What makes you think that adding "rear fill" behind you, the driver, is a good thing?

And no, the fact that a home movie theater uses rear speakers is irrelevant, because home movie theaters are used to play movies, which are typically recorded in 5.1 surround sound (best reproduced by a 5.1 surround system). See how this makes sense?

The ideal stereo setup for a two seater car is a front left channel and a front right channel. Rear fill will make it sound "louder" but it won't sound better.

Rear fill is only a good idea if you like to have passengers in a rear seat of a car and listen to music.
Interesting... or not

I'm not sure of your history in car audio... Nor do you understand mine. However it is true, music is normally record in 2 channels, and now-a-days a normal movie is recorded in (7) not 5 channels (and there's talk of jumping it to 9). However more and more cars are coming stock with 5.1 music sound systems since the industry is moving in that direction, since it's a better experience for the listener.

I'm not sure how much actual real world experience you have in designing car audio system (but assuming you're a "guru" you must be some kind of amazing person) and listening to music in a car. But in case youve never noticed most cars come stock with anywhere for 4 to 13 speakers in the car. So either you're wrong in your thinking, or you're calling all those engineers that have their hand in the design process of designing a car audio systems stupid........... So which is it? Rear speakers are not just for rear passengers

Oh and yes, I think it sounds better in an S2000, because it does... Give it a try... I have many many many times... if you go from a stock s2k with it 2or4 stock speakers then to mine with 11, you'll hear a huge difference. The sound sorrounds and envelops you, creating a great listening experience... which is kind of the point of "listening" to music.

Having said all that, have a nice day "guru"
Old 09-23-2012, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by murderedrsx
Aka get an aftermarket hu and bi-amp the components and use an eq to deliver the right frequencies. Kind of a tedious setup though.
This would work... For what you're trying to do. But as stated it can be a little tedious to properly set up. But I will work.

What is your goal?
Do you have a budget?
How do you listen to your music?
Old 09-23-2012, 02:54 PM

Well for starters, maybe you didn't mean to, but you came off as a jerk saying "Ummm... You don't want to do that for all kinds of reason." It seems you put your input in a lot of threads in here and might know a lot about speakers, that's fine and I'd like your input, but when you post something like that, why even post?

All I was asking is if you take the appropriate measures using crossovers and such, wouldn't it be a good idea to make the "Rear channel" outputs useful.

I'm not going to sound competitions nor do I ever expect to have a fantastic sound system in a convertible. I see in your signature you have speakers on speakers on speakers. Personally I can't get myself to cut the door panels and I'd like to just make the most of what I have. I'm just looking to make the component setup in the doors the best they can be without spending thousands of dollars.

I saw someone above post about bridging channels. Would that be a better way or should I never even bother with any of this all in general? I know if I bridge the channels that'd defeat the purpose of have the ability to adjust just the tweeters or woofers but would it give it more bang for the buck?

Thanks for any/all help.

Quick Reply: Front/Rear speaker rewiring