S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Foolish to Add Amp to Stock Setup?

Old 10-18-2005, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foolish to Add Amp to Stock Setup?

In short, I want more volume.

However, I want to retain my stock head unit because I have the stupid factory changer. I've already added rear speakers and that helped, but I need more.

Therefore, is it foolish to add 4-channel amp (maybe JL Audio?) to my current setup? Or would doing so necessitate an upgrade in speakers as well?

Old 10-18-2005, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JawKnee,Oct 18 2005, 01:20 PM
In short, I want more volume.

However, I want to retain my stock head unit because I have the stupid factory changer. I've already added rear speakers and that helped, but I need more.

Therefore, is it foolish to add 4-channel amp (maybe JL Audio?) to my current setup? Or would doing so necessitate an upgrade in speakers as well?
If you want add an external amp to increase power of the OEM HU, you will need a Line Output Converter (LOC), one of a good quality LOC and does not cost too much is "PAC", try searching for PAC OEM-2.

The rear speakers should be used as filled such that it does not need a lot of power, it can be driven with OEM HU as now. Since the OEM front speakers can not handle much power, you may need to upgrade front speakers to better components to be driven by external amp.

You may need the followings:

1. One PAC OEM-2 4-channel LOC, PAC does not have adjustable 2-channel LOC.
2. One 2-channel amp, if it is small enough you can install it under driver seat
3. A pair of 6 1/2" component speakers
4. A pair of 6 1/2" XTC baffle (short one) to replace OEM door speaker baskets, don't forget to cut the bottom of the baffle 1"x2" piece for air movement. You may want to cut the back of the OEM baskets and use the rings to mount new woofers
5. RCA cable, power and ground wires, speaker wires ...
Old 10-18-2005, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by TR-S2K,Oct 18 2005, 02:40 PM
If you want add an external amp to increase power of the OEM HU, you will need a Line Output Converter (LOC), one of a good quality LOC and does not cost too much is "PAC", try searching for PAC OEM-2.

The rear speakers should be used as filled such that it does not need a lot of power, it can be driven with OEM HU as now. Since the OEM front speakers can not handle much power, you may need to upgrade front speakers to better components to be driven by external amp.

You may need the followings:

1. One PAC OEM-2 4-channel LOC, PAC does not have adjustable 2-channel LOC.
2. One 2-channel amp, if it is small enough you can install it under driver seat
3. A pair of 6 1/2" component speakers
4. A pair of 6 1/2" XTC baffle (short one) to replace OEM door speaker baskets, don't forget to cut the bottom of the baffle 1"x2" piece for air movement. You may want to cut the back of the OEM baskets and use the rings to mount new woofers
5. RCA cable, power and ground wires, speaker wires ...
Thanks for the detailed reply! Not sure why I didn't think of just a 2 channel to power the fronts while powering the rears off of the stock HU.

In any event, would this be "stupid" or "foolish" of me?
Old 10-18-2005, 01:46 PM

I did it, it is definitely louder! Ask TR-S2K how to tune it after you get it installed. I don't know if it sounds better though. But it is louder. I did it because I didn't want to spring for a DCI.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:11 PM

No, it is your choice. If you want the best sound then you will pay a lot more. If you want fairly clean sound and much lowder and do not like to spend a lot of money, then adding an external amp to your existing OEM system will do the job.

If in the future you want better sound, then you can upgrade to aftermarket HU, the only thing that you will not use is the LOC, which is less than $30. After upgrading HU, and you still want to retain controls from the dash, you will need to get a DCI or equivalent.

Just remember that, do not expect to get a lot more while paying a lot less.

If you are going with LOC and external amp and need to tune your system, let me know, I will PM your step by step instruction.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:37 PM

You don't absolutely need an LOC if your amp accepts high voltage inputs directly. I have a JL 450/4. It takes the high level signal directly so I don't use an LOC.

Not saying this is better. You may want an amp that doesn't have a high level input section or an amp with a high level section that isn't very good. An LOC avoids these issues.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:58 AM

I can find the JL Audio 300/2 for about $300 OTD new. With that said, how would you compare adding the said amp versus using $300-$350 for an aftermarket HU instead? Stock front speakers with some Kenwood 5.25" 2-ways as rear speakers for both scenarios.

Old 10-19-2005, 08:07 AM

I have the JL300/2 running mbquat qsd's with the factory head unit. It sounds great to me. I do not think I needed a converter, it is already there with the amp. That amp will be too much for the factory speakers. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

IMO you would be better served not getting an amp yet, and spending/replacing the paper whizzer cone speakers that Honda provides in the doors. You will have much more clarity in your music.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:10 AM

That's what I thought regarding the stock speakers.

With that said, can anyone recommend me a set of speakers for the front that I can get for about $300 OTD that are worthwhile?

Quick Reply: Foolish to Add Amp to Stock Setup?