S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Finally getting around to finish my rear speakers

Old 02-28-2007, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally getting around to finish my rear speakers

Ok I have been kicking this project around for a few winters now. I have everything at 90% complete but House mods got in the way. I have the brackets and enclosures pretty much complete. Just need to start thinking about the setup and wiring to be done. My Goal is simple, add rear speakers, connect my Zune and finally keep it as much OEM as possible. I am not much of an audio nut just want a little more out of my radio.

Some Questions:
1) I have a Rear Speaker Harness that will open up use for rear speakers in our OEM unit. Are there wires that I can connect to on the harness after the radio for the rear speakers? Or do I have to buy special wire with pins to fill in the empty cavities for rear speakers. I have not pulled the radio so I am not sure.

Also if there is pre-wiring for the rears does it run to the rear of the car? I recall that MY02 doesn't have that but just wanted to confirm.

I did find this picture but couldn't figure out if rear speaker wires come out of this.

2) What gauge wiring do you normally use for running rear speakers? I have 18 gauge which I think is OEM size. Just wanted to confirm.

3) I have a PIE HON98-AUX Honda Aux Input Converter for the ZUNE hookup. Is this pretty much plug and play into the CD changer? I was thinking of running the RCAs wiring down the center console into the center glove box and just securing my Zune between the elastic strap.

Here is an old pic of the MDF template I molded into an old set of rear loops. I am considering fiberglassing it and paint or wrapping it with suede microfiber.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:56 AM
oth

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

if the harness you have is the rear speaker adapter harness like Lucid
sells, in addition to all the wires that go between the two plugs, it should
have four extra wires coming out of the side that plugs into the radio.
These wires will connect to the left and right rear speakers, but you'll
need to run your own wires to the back. The "good news" is that since
the stock headunit doesn't put out much power, you don't have to use
very big wire (18 ga is more than adequate). You can run them through
the passenger sill, through the center console, or simply under the carpet
on the transmission tunnel.