S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

factory dash controlls

Old 06-09-2010, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory dash controlls

I would like to add a slightly more powerful head unit so i can have an audio input for my i-pod but i do not want to sacrifice the dash controls. Is it possible and what is the best way to do this?

The car is an 04
Old 06-09-2010, 04:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please read the FAQ (stickied at the top of the forum):
Can I still use my dash controls with an aftermarket head unit?
Maybe. Without some sort of interface? no.
However, you can reposess the controls and add features to the controls by either adding the DCI from modifry or having DJQube (an s2ki.com user) modify it. Links to both of these can be found below in the section on shopping online. These are the most commonly used and recommended solutions.

The PAC SWI-X is also an inexpensive option. It can be bought from Crutchfield or locally with a little bit of looking. The major flaw with the PAC SWI-X is that it must be programmed for your car and HU. The nature of this programming creates a slight, but noticable delay when using the dash controls.

In order to use ANY of these options above, the Head Unit you purchase MUST have an InfraRed remote. Some Sony models are an exception to this rule, as they can use a hardwired option.

Some HU's in Alpine's new 2005 line also have a hardwire line input for remote dash controls. As of this writing (7/2005) the interface for the S2000 is mainly available in Europe, but has been sighted as in the US. Some users have imported the interface to the US from Europe with good success.

PAC also offers a programmable option for the dash controls that hardwires into the 2005 Alpine head units. It is called the SWI-ALP and is currently (as of 6/2005) available in the US. It requires an Alpine HU w/ the hardwire input, so double check before you buy.

Unlike modifry and DJQube's DCI's, the PAC and Alpine options do not add features, but instead mimic the S2000's OEM controls.
I'd recommend going with Modifry's DCI.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the help, I looked over it too quickly.

My main goal is to add a audio input. It seems like an audio input converter is the best solution. The HONAUX4 (witch is the replacement for the SNHOND3) looks like it would work but it said my HU needs to be double-DIN sized satellite-ready radio and i am not sure if it is, how could i tell?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:11 AM

Another solution is the PAC SWI-X from crutchfield. The product is only 70$ witch is the best so far. However it said it works via infrared does this mean it needs line of sight to operate?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by 84b18,Jun 9 2010, 08:11 AM
Another solution is the PAC SWI-X from crutchfield. The product is only 70$ witch is the best so far. However it said it works via infrared does this mean it needs line of sight to operate?
i was wondering the same thing?

i was looking at a jvc unit that suggests to use it for steering controls

would that work the same way?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:58 AM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm pretty sure the PAC works just like the infrared Modifry DCI. There is a small led on a wire lead that sits in front of the head unit. Just so you know, my understanding is that the PAC has pretty slow response (delay to controls) and does not include mute. The DCI does not have any noticable delay, includes mute, and actually increases the functionality of the dash controls.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:36 PM

I can't comment on the PAC, but I just installed Modifry's DCI and it was a breeze. All plug-and-play, no splicing required.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:48 PM

The pac swix does include a mute function
Old 06-09-2010, 06:04 PM
oth

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

The PAC SWI-X does not itself support the mute button, however they give
you instructions on how to hook up the mute circuit using a relay for headunits
that support a hardwired (not IR) tel-mute. Here they are:
Using the mute button to control aftermarket radios with a mute input: Using a 12v SPDT relay, connect pin 85 to Honda's pin #14. Connect pins 86 and 87 to ground. Connect pin 30 to the phone mute input wire of the new head unit. If there is a wire (normally brown) in Pin 11 it will need to go to chassis ground.
(from pac-audio.com)
Old 06-09-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by ayau,Jun 9 2010, 02:36 PM
I can't comment on the PAC, but I just installed Modifry's DCI and it was a breeze. All plug-and-play, no splicing required.
The DCI sounds good but i can not find it. Where can i get it and how much does it cost? Is it the same thing as the HONAUX4?

Quick Reply: factory dash controlls