S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

factory cd changer won't play burned cds

Old 02-14-2004 | 05:37 PM

Default factory cd changer won't play burned cds

I don't know if this problem has been addressed before, but thought I'd post it to see if there are remedies or to forwarn others.

I recently purchased a new 2004 S. I purchased it with the factory 8 cd changer, but had it custom installed in the "secret compartment" behind the drivers seat as was pictured elsewhere on this board. (Very nice place to install!) Well the install went great, but the factory changer plays only commercial CDs. Even having one of my burnt cds in the stack screws up the unit so it will not play. These play in the head unit's cd player, and in my RSX's in-dash changer. My Alpine changer that was in my previous car also played these with no problems. I was under the impression that Alpine also makes Hondas changers and never thought there would be a problem with this.

I called the dealer, and they advised technical services will only guarantee that commercially purchased CD's will play.

Does anyone have a solution for this, or do I need to try to return the changer and purchase an aftermarket changer without these problems?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2004 | 06:05 PM

What kind of program do you use to burn CDs?

Do you "finalize" the disc when you're done buring it?

Some older CD players wouldn't play burnt CDs, but S2000 equipment should be new enough for it, especially since it'll play in the HU (I play burnt CDs all the time in mine).
Old 02-14-2004 | 07:37 PM

What kind of blank CDs are you using? If you are using CD-RWs, these may or may not play in various machines. Also, are you burning them on your computer or in a stereo component CD recorder. If the latter, you might be required to only use "music" recordable blank CDs. If it's from a computer, then data CDs should work.
Old 02-15-2004 | 04:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
What kind of blank CDs are you using?
Old 02-15-2004 | 05:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
What kind of blank CDs are you using?
Old 02-15-2004 | 05:37 PM

Like I said, data CDs will work if the music is burned on a computer. It's CD-RWs (used for music) that some machines have problems with. And it doesn't seem to matter if the CD-RW is intended for music or not. I burned some of these and they don't work in the car or my home CD player. It won't even play the music if run on another computer.
The fact that these CDs of yours will not play in the changer but everywhere else is indeed, a mystery.
Old 02-15-2004 | 07:31 PM

I had a friend once who had a car with a stock HU that would only play CDs by a certain brand (Memorex). If he used any other brand of CD, the CD would not play, or take forever to load and not read the discs properly.

It indeed was a mystery.
Old 02-16-2004 | 01:09 AM

You mean you installed it behind the seat behind the plastic panel where Lucids are mounted
Old 02-16-2004 | 01:10 AM

BTW, would you have pics of your changer install Im curious as im looking to get one soon as well and dont like havin to walk to the trunk Maybe under the seat
Old 02-16-2004 | 02:46 AM

You might have also burned them in mp3 mode instead of standard.

Quick Reply: factory cd changer won't play burned cds