S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Electronic Guru's and Pc Guru's HELP

Old 01-03-2004, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Guru's and Pc Guru's HELP

i'm a newbie to both and i'm in need of help. please pm if you think you can offer some help.

the obstacle: powering pc without pressing the ON button on the tower.

is it possible to extend the button away from the tower to another location?
or can it boot by detecting power? ex. if i flip the switch of a surge protector
Old 01-03-2004, 11:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, and yes. The first solution is easier to accomplish, but potentially more dangerous...simply use an extension to the wires connected to the power switch and move the switch somewher convenient.

The second method is possible, but involves detecting current flow sensing (actually, most surge supressors have LEDs now, so I would suggest tapping it at that point as a signal wire). Whatever method is used to detect the "On" state, it's a matter of connecting a relay to the computer's power switch.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:25 PM

dangerous!?! how can it be dangerous? i can see the wiring but i'm not sure where i can buy a connector of that type (male and female)

how easy is the second method? my experience as an electrician is little to none. are there some easy directions or somewhere i can go to get this done?
Old 01-04-2004, 08:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's more dangerous because you're stringing a high-voltage line outside of its normal grounded case.

The second method is just as I described...the LED current is used to latch a relay. The relay then replaces the CPU's switch.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:20 PM

If you've got an old sk00l AT power supply, the power switch is simply switching on/off the raw AC power, and therefore extending those wires should be done to electrical code, etc. Not recommended. (and since you mentioned it doesn't turn the PC on with the restoration of AC power, it's not an AT power supply, so the point is moot)

So you've got a newer style ATX power supply. In this case, the power switch is just a low-voltage switch that closes contacts on the motherboard to switch on the PS. It's just a jumper header on the mainboard that you tie into. Sacrifice one of the connectors on a junk case to get one. If you've got small hands, solder wires onto a plastic jumper or something.

However, if all you want to do is have the box turn on when power is applied, there is typically a BIOS setting that controls that. By default, it's to stay off after loss of input power, but it can be toggled. Most BIOS can be accessed by hitting the "del" button after video init during POST. Sometimes F1 or other crackhead combinations. Try throwing some gang signs with your KB and see what happens. I belive Phoenix responds to "East LA Crips"
Old 01-05-2004, 09:09 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Another possibility is to see if you can set your BIOS for "Wake on Keyboard". Not all support this, but if yours does, it's the easiest solution.

Just curious, why are you looking for this change?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:46 AM

i'm looking to change this because where i want me pc located i wont be able to push the power on button everytime, or at least i wont want to push it everytime.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry if this sounds stupid, but why don't you just leave it on? enable the sleep mode feature. Pcs require so little power when they aren't doing anything.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:33 PM

the pc is for my car, i do not wish to drain the car battery by using the sleep function. if there is a simple solution of running a small batter to the pc it wouldnt be a problem
Old 01-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doh that makes more sense then. I would go with Mac's idea of extending the power button wires.

Quick Reply: Electronic Guru's and Pc Guru's HELP