S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Double Din dvd/radio set-up

Old 08-15-2007, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Din dvd/radio set-up

Here are some pics of the finished product, I think it came out pretty nice for my first attempt at anything like this. I am not even clost to being a profesional interior guy or anything, I just wanted to eee if I could do it. The pics look okay but the screen is dirty from messing with it so much trying to make it fit and the dash needs a good coat of armor all but here it is.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:22 PM

your like the 3rd person i've seen with that setup...how exactly did you fit that, and where did you get the surrounding filler from? Is there enough room behind to add Sirius & an ipod interface cuz i had a hell of a time squeezing my JVC in there with that stuff..

I really love those Excelon HUs, they perform real well and i never had a problem with my old DDX8017

I really wish i would have realized i could have done this before i went the route i did
Old 08-15-2007, 06:24 PM

ahh but you did lose the vents now i don't feel so bad about my desicion
Old 08-15-2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ionlylive,Aug 15 2007, 09:24 PM
ahh but you did lose the vents now i don't feel so bad about my desicion
you do lose the vents right there but i never use them anyways. They are for when you have the top down but I have a hradtop on 99% of the time
Old 08-15-2007, 06:33 PM

but what about the space issue? I might consider redoing my setup to put one of these in..and what about the filler
Old 08-15-2007, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by ionlylive,Aug 15 2007, 09:22 PM
your like the 3rd person i've seen with that setup...how exactly did you fit that, and where did you get the surrounding filler from? Is there enough room behind to add Sirius & an ipod interface cuz i had a hell of a time squeezing my JVC in there with that stuff..

I really love those Excelon HUs, they perform real well and i never had a problem with my old DDX8017

I really wish i would have realized i could have done this before i went the route i did
It takes a lil bit of cutting to get a double din to fit in there. It is kinds self explanatory if you pull out your radio and vents and jsut look in there. As fas fitting a sirius unit there is no reason it couldn't fit because Kenwood used the BUS cable so you could just plug that in and mount the sirius unit under the dash and then plug the BUS cable for your iPod into the reciever for the sirius set-up. I just ordered everything to do this exact set-up
Old 08-15-2007, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by ionlylive,Aug 15 2007, 09:33 PM
but what about the space issue? I might consider redoing my setup to put one of these in..and what about the filler
the "filler" is a piece of MDF that I cut to fit in there and has wrapped in leather to match the dash. The leather has 1/4" padding behind it to make the radio seem slightly recessed into it. To make the MDF I simply layed down the stock radio door and vents and traced them directly on the wood to get the outside shape and then centered up the d-ring and cut the inner hole so the radio could barely fit in and out. The notched it back a lil bit to fit the D-ring around the radio.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is Niiice. Can you read the screen in the sun?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mcoto,Aug 16 2007, 02:27 PM
Is Niiice. Can you read the screen in the sun?
yeah it is bright enough that even on a sunny day with the top down I can still see the screen. I can't say the same for my old Sony though, just a little bit of sun and it looked like it wasn't even on
Old 08-17-2007, 07:59 AM

Looks good, Did you have to move the srs unit? or does the head unit just sit right on top of it?

Quick Reply: Double Din dvd/radio set-up