S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Do the door vents for speakers really suck

Old 02-12-2004, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do the door vents for speakers really suck

Would sound be improved by mounting the speaker to the door panel rather than to door, so that the face was on the other side of the panel? I'm wondering how much muffling of the sound is ocurring, especially with the tweeters (MY02)
Old 02-12-2004, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hrm. you wouldn't want to mount the midbass to the door panel, as you'd be fighting rattles and tightness issues forever. not to mention, the door panel isn't really strong enough to support a major speaker.

regarding the tweeters -- my tweeters are mounted to the door panel (pre MY02), and there have been several examples of tweeters mounted into the center of the OEM pod after the grill zone was cut out. i think DarkKnight did this w/ his...
Old 02-12-2004, 09:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PJK3
hrm. you wouldn't want to mount the midbass to the door panel, as you'd be fighting rattles and tightness issues forever.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:05 AM

from the midbass? no.

from the tweeter? maybe.

it's hard to say for sure, but generally speaking, holey plastic isn't the most accoustically transparent material. but how much will it matter? probably not much... probably. the closer you get the tweeter to that grill (btw, try to avoid having the tweeter's driver contact the grill - you don't damage the tweeter), the less it will interfere. you can always start w/ tweeter behind the grill, and if you're not happy, drill out the grill w/ a dremel and mount the tweeter in the remaining gap. you might want to PM Darkknight about how he did his...
Old 02-12-2004, 10:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PJK3
from the midbass?
Old 02-12-2004, 11:23 AM

I got your PM so I figured I just post it here incase someone else was wondering the same thing.

The reason I "dremeled" mine out is that I really want to show off the tweeter honestly. I would agree with PJK3 that having the sound travel though the holes in the plastic isn't that great for sound quality, but I won't sit here and tell you that your ear will/will not hear the difference either.

Here's how mine look:

However if you have directional tweeter that you'll be installing it would be better to move them out of the pod so they sit "flush" that way you can aim them properly.

Does that help?
Old 02-12-2004, 11:43 AM

I can't believe how clean that looks. Amazing.

I may start by just by sanding down the plastic a little and see how it goes...
Old 02-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Former Moderator

I would try Phils Idea.....First install it with the plastic, if you arent happy, dremel it out.

Although technically speaking, any object in front a speakers will interfere with its output, I dont think the difference is substatial by any account. Just my .02
Old 02-12-2004, 11:57 AM

NFRs2000NYC has a good point. Try it one way first then if your not happy Dremel it out. Just make sure your tweeter will fit into the hole afterwards. My Alpines fit perfect but that may not be the case with every tweeter.

If you decend to Dremel it out, work from the center out, and use a sanding attachment, DO NOT try to just cut it out.

If you'd like help I can do it for you, just mail me both pods and one tweeter.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by darkknight1999
NFRs2000NYC has a good point. Try it one way first then if your not happy Dremel it out. Just make sure your tweeter will fit into the hole afterwards. My Alpines fit perfect but that may not be the case with every tweeter.

If you decend to Dremel it out, work from the center out, and use a sanding attachment, DO NOT try to just cut it out.

If you'd like help I can do it for you, just mail me both pods and one tweeter.

That's really nice of you to offer. Thank you. I let you know how my progress goes.

Quick Reply: Do the door vents for speakers really suck